Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 dry preserve vs. tan >

dry preserve vs. tan

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

dry preserve vs. tan

Old 07-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Default dry preserve vs. tan

How many of you have used dry preserve and how many of you tan just wanted to know i'm starting on my second deer mount and i hope he turns out better than the first. if you want to see him just go to http://nyonalaketaxidermyst.tripod.com and click the mounts page if you want to see another related site http://whccin.tripod.com let me know if you like the second site.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:35 PM

Default RE: dry preserve vs. tan

Many of us started out with dry preservative. At that time the emphasis was on getting the deer put together, rather than skin preservation. Many of us went on to learn alternative methods and good old tanning. Guys like me who are very demanding of the skin and how it reacts in the mounting process as well as the end mount results seem to prefer tanning, done correctly, that is. I wont bad mouth dry preserve, as I know many taxidermists who still prefer it for many reasons. I kiddingly refer to them as "powder jockies" but thats a whole 'nother story. In the commercial end of taxidermy, both methods have their supporters.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:57 AM

I prefer Tanning for game heads and lifesize large animals, dry preserve I like on small anials and birds.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tan everything, cept birds. I just like to know that my mounts are going to last and not have much shrinkage. As Bill said , dp has it's purposes but I am just not a dp person, I learned to tan everything.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

I started with DP 35 years ago and changed to tanning and have been happier since. But that does not mean that DP doesn't have a place, but not in my shop.