Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Replica Fish Question >

Replica Fish Question

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Replica Fish Question

Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Replica Fish Question

What is needed to make a good replica? I only know the weight and length, and have some good pictures of the fish. Is that enough to get a legtimate replica done? Also, what is the going rate? Is it per inch like a regular fish?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Replica Fish Question

sure a taxidermist could come CLOSE....but you need as many measurements as possible for them to match...girth etc....i would measure the girth at 3-5 diffrent points for the taxi to go by....but they can paint you up a molded fish of that species and legnth..weight wont matter much....if it was fat or skinny he might beable to come close....but measurements are probably pretty important...and i doubt he can paint it to look EXZACTLY like it..he can go by the pics though so he might...atleast you got alot of pics..that will help....find a taxi and show him what you got and see what he says......i bet you can get something close enough....

oh ya....no idea on the price of replicas.....i thought they were a little more then a regular skin mount...but may be wrong....the average going rate seems to be about 10$ an inch...but you get someone GOOD at fish and a very good painter you can look at 20 an inch im sure.....all depends...definently try to locate a CUSTOMERs fish mount before you let them do it....they might have SHOW pieces in their showroom or on their webpage...but 98% of the guys do 2 types of work...SHOW/Competition mounts and "customer" mounts..which lack detail etc...and ive seen alot of fish jobs where the taxi just simply cannot paint...im sure that takes practice and talent...and a good eye and alot of refrence pics and knowledge...i never wanted a fish or turkey mounted till i met my taxi...he was a professional artist BEFORE he started taxidermy.....then practiced for yeaaars doing self and friend mounts....but his fish and turkey heads are amazing....he matched the color of my fish absolutely PERFECT....i dont know how he got the colors and shades that perfect but he did....i looked at alot of diffrent guys work too....i wouldnt keep a fish to have mounted if i had to have them stinkers mount it!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:49 PM

We can make a replica of just any species, but we cannot replicated to the exact size, we have molds in stock and we will get as close as possible, so you only need two measurements the length and the widest girth.
As far as price what fish speciesare we talking about?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

We can make a replica of just any species, but we cannot replicated to the exact size, we have molds in stock and we will get as close as possible, so you only need two measurements the length and the widest girth.
As far as price what fish speciesare we talking about?
Walleye....and I didnt measure the girth. It was 30"-9.6lbs
Old 06-22-2006, 09:16 PM

Janesburg, really the answer lies with YOU. If you are extremely fussy, then youll need alot more measurements and pics. If you are so-so, then "close enough" would do...see? Walleyes have many color patterns and shades, so pics are important. Eye style is another issue with walleyes. Girth is a desirable point on big walleyes, especially early ones. I would say you can double skin mount prices to get in the ballpark for good quality repros. Good luck.