Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Timberwolf Taxidermy I need info please help >

Timberwolf Taxidermy I need info please help

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Timberwolf Taxidermy I need info please help

Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Timberwolf Taxidermy I need info please help

In November of 2003 I got lucky and connected on a 7pt buck with a 15" inside spread (biggest to date). After calling several local taxidermy shops I elected on going with Timberwolf. After dropping off my head and looking at his displays I chose a semi-sneak pose price was $325, I gave him $200 deposit. He informed me that it should be between 6 and 9 months. In that time frame I became friends with a local guy that knows this man he informed me that he was broke and couldn't afford the supplies to finish the job. Now being 2 1/2 years later I am in the process of taking him to court he doesn't return any calls and never answers his phone.

The help that I need is what would this deer's antlers cost if I needed to replace then it was a 7pt with 15" inside spread around 90" to 100" on the P&Y scale. What would a new cape cost being that mine was ruined (I was told that he lost a few capes due to power outage and mine was one of them that is why it is taking so long).

So after adding up what I am out $200.00 deposit, antlers, and cape.
what should be the amount that I take him to court for?

Thanks for all that helped I will keep you all posted.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Timberwolf Taxidermy I need info please help

you probably cant get more then your deposit back..if that....IF he did things professonally and watched his back....both my taxidermist give a recipt...both have agreements that get signed by the customer saying work is done at CUSTOMERS own risk...and the taxidermist is not respondible for anything blah blah.....and they will do their best to return a quality piece blah blah.....i wish you the best of luck.....you may have a case may not.....i dont know much about all that legal stuff...to me stuff like that you cant put a price on.......though here in PA we can pick up roadkill bucks for 10$ a point...........
Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

pj - Sorry to hear about your problems. Unfortunately, if this taxidermist had proper contracts that cover his butt, you're in for a fight. MY contract covers my butt well, from deposits to how long they have to pick it up. But it sounds to me that this guy may not be that cautious. Capes generally run according to size - from $60 - $150 tanned Green - ?. I would contact the guy, better yet drive over there, and talk to him. Let him know that you really don't want to proceed with legal action but you want your horns. He may return your deposit or 1/2 of it, but don't count on it. Remain calm and don't threaten him, talk to him like you would want to be talked to. Yelling is for children, threatening him will get you in trouble. I know this is difficult but try to do your best. It's guys like this that make it hard for serious taxidermists to get treated as professionals. Hope it helps. If worse comes to worse, take him to court.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:12 AM

Your DNR in NY are pretty tough, I would contact them first and see if they can help you get the head back.
The worth of your horns are around $25-35 and the cape about $100.

So try and get it back and your deposit or part of it.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:23 AM

Because we as taxidermists are not licensed by the DEC in NY, they will not assist you if no game laws have been violated. Also, I answered this post for you in the Bow category...
Old 06-13-2006, 06:47 AM

You may have lost your cape, but unless something catastrophic happened he should still have your horns.

My suggestion would be to show up at his place and without shouting or yelling, ask for your antlers back. Explain they mean a lot to you and you understand he's been through a rough time. Offer to split the difference of your deposit, and if he gives you $100 back and the antlers you'll drop your civil case.

In this situation, you lost that $200 2 + years ago so it shouldn't sting as bad. If you could get $50 out of him I think you'd be lucky. The key is the antlers!

This happened to a buddy of mine and we did exactly the same thing. At first, he wasn't to cooperative. But since he wanted his boat back pretty bad, we got the deposit and antlers back.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

went over their no one home called again this morning and still o answer,
left a message stating that I would like to meet and come get my antlers.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

would like to inform everyone that he made good, I got to talk to him and everything is going good I will be picking my deer head up on tuesday I hope to post some pics.

Its time for him to come home!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear it. So, was he avoiding you, or were you two just playing a major game of phone tag?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:26 PM

First off you need to ask for the world...ie...cost of the hunt trip, your time off, your attorney's fees if any, check e-bay to get current rate for whitetail capes. at the least if you get your deposit and rack back also go for cost of the cape.

The other problem is if he is broke and you get a judgment it is then another whole story to try and get your money because you may be one of many in line. You know what they say about blood out of a turnip.

Hopr you get something.