Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Lever Action Replica and Caliber Question >

Lever Action Replica and Caliber Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lever Action Replica and Caliber Question

Old 08-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lever Action Replica and Caliber Question

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and l look forward to reading some posts and learning something about guns and hunting, which I love.

I started to look for a forum on firearms and hunting because I have a dilema with a new firearm that I am looking to purchase. I used to hunt in Pennsylvannia in Potter County where my family owns some land. The land there is wide open so my 308 M70 works just fine. However now I hunt in Michigan on land that is a lot thicker with closer range opportunities so I would like to get a lever action rifle that is accurate from the irons. (I guess the irons are only as accurate as the eye but what the hey. )

I like pretty rifles and I had my eye on the Marlin 336 SS that is Stainelss Steel and is an all-around pretty rifle. The issue is that the 336 SS only comes in 30-30 Win and I wanted to get a 35 just in case I ever wanted to use it for some longer distance applications. I have heard from multiple sources that the 30-30 has issues with bullet drop at even short distances. I have very little experience with these calibers and lever action rifles, just for the record.

So I found a website [link]http://www.iar-arms.com/1892-winchester-rifle.htm[/link] that makes lever action replica rifles. I really like the 1892RSS-20 which is the second one from the top. Have any of you heard of this company or know about the craftsmenship of their rifles. The other dilemma is that their rifles only come in one of two calibers .357 or .45LC. I have never shot either of these as a rifle cartridge. What would be the best round for hunting? What might the kick be compared to?

Thanks in advance for any advice recieved.

Tom
Old 08-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lever Action Replica and Caliber Question

Well, if you like a 336, check out an 1895 in 45/70. I have one, like it a lot. I installed a peep, and I won't hesitate to shoot to 150 yds on a deer with a good rest. It's awesome up close too, fast handling and really brings a load.

A Winchester 1886 is a nice rifle. I think there have been some replicas done. It is offered in 45/70, maybe some others too. A winchester 94 in 375 Win is nothing to sneeze at either.

As for the 30/30 and 35 (35 Rem I guess?) I can't really say which has more range. I'd say they are the same, but maybe with handloading one has more upside than another. They are both fine on deer within 150 yds.

I would not consider either a 357 or 45 Long a real good deer rifle, but in the right hands an under certain conditions they will work. You'd have to be willing to limit yourself a bit on range.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle,

Could you explain what you mean by having to limit the range? What would the 357 and the 45LC effective range be?

I would like to stay away from Winchester because I would like the action to be closed along the top so that scopes can be mounted easily.

Thanks
Tom
Old 08-09-2004, 04:09 PM

His reference to limiting the range of the .45 and .357 means that you should probably not even consider taking a shot beyond 100yds and in my opinion, I would try not to exceed 50-75yds max. For starters, they are both handgun cartridges and even in the longer barrel that a carbine provides, I still do not think either one is as suited for whitetails as the .30-30 and .35 are. And to answer your question, if you have fired a .35 or .30-30, you will have no problem with recoil in either of the handgun cartridges listed above.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone know of any other places to find pretty lever action rifles?

Thanks
Tom
Old 08-10-2004, 12:19 PM

Have you looked at Browning? They make very nice lever action guns (Borwning BLR) although they do not have the same styling as Marlin and Winchester. Don't know if you are goining for the "western" look or just want a nice lever gun but take a look. The rifle is magazine fed so you can shoot pointed ammo and have a greater selection of calibers. The receiver is side eject, closed top so scope mounting is easy. Calibers range from 22-250 to 450 marlin, if you are worried about some distance shooting with a 30-30 this gives you the option to use a more versitle hunting cartridge like 30-06 or 270 but still have the quick lever action. Browning rifles have a nice dark blue and pretty wood and finish even on their basic models for the most part. Maybe you can have your cake and eat it too? I will mention that Ruger makes a lever action rifle but I personally do not care for it. The Browning is pictured below, good luck.