Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

MT.GOAT

Old 12-09-2005, 11:34 PM

Default MT.GOAT

LOOKING FOR TIPS AND INFO ON TYPES OF SHOULDER MOUNTS AVAILABLE, HAVE A GOAT THAT IS READY TO MOUNT AND LOOKING FOR IDEAS THANKS ALL
Old 12-10-2005, 02:15 PM

Default RE: MT.GOAT

Mt goat shoulder forms are limited. Its a semi sneak, basically, and straight, left and right turns. Most guys LS the goats, thats where the selection is. Those with limited room or that prefer the shoulder mount dont have as many choices. Hopefully your taxidermist knows how to move the skin forward, to "stack" the hair and give it that full look. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:51 AM

you speak of staking the hair and moving the skin forward. not really sur i know what your talking a bout, and how should i ask my taxidermist about that? he is skined out for ls mount but just not practical for me thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 04:19 PM

A goat is such a prestigious trophy, you might want to consider keeping the LS skin and waiting till doing it life sized IS practical. Its such a great looking mount. Either way, congrats on a good trophy. Just ask him about bringing the skin forward on the shoulder mount, to stack the hair and make it look full. He will either know how, or it becomes a moot point. I hope it looks great for you!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:38 PM

what would I have to do to preserve the hid for a length of time?
and how long can i keep it?
Thanks for the great info

Old 12-12-2005, 11:00 PM

First of all, what a fantastic picture! I love seeing the actual habitat a trophy comes from, like sheer rock walls!

I believe you said the goat hide was already tanned? If so, in my opinion, the very best way to store it long term is to soak it up to rehydrate it, then drain it off and bag it and store it in the freezer. Leatherized hides have a finite shelf life. What I mean is, they need to have memory, to be pliable, have stretch, yet strength, while we mount them, then after that to remain stable so the mount holds up. A good tan will have these characteristics. The workability doesnt last forever, like the stability will, thus the shelf life. Thats why I suggest storing them frozen. Thats worked well for me with my 18 month plus return times, as well as with customers who are indecided as to what direction to go. If you are still unsure, feel free to call me @ 585-637-2450, and Id be happy to help you out, so all goes well with your taxidermist and that nice trophy. Again, congrats!
Old 12-14-2005, 08:13 AM

thanks for the info goat should be shiped home after the chrastmas, a local taxidersmist did the final fleshing skining and salt dry the hide, so i really havnt seen much of it yet but sure cant wait to get it home
Old 12-14-2005, 06:32 PM

Ok, its salt dried only. You can still fold it flat and store it longterm in the freezer. You might just want to go ahead and have it tanned though.