Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Got my Goat!!!!

Old 10-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got my Goat!!!!

I' m back from a three day weekend and good one it was.On Saturday some of my family and I were out hunting pheasant on the opener.There was six of us and we limited out in 21 minutes it was great.
On Sunday I headed out to get my antelope,a freind of mine had seen a decent buck out by his house the past few weeks and now I was looking for him.We found the herd at 9am and watched two guys make a unsuccesful stalk on the herd.They ran them off in the wrong direction.We sat and watch for a few hours till they were ran back to were we could go after them.I watched the herd break into two groups of about 75 head.The buck I was after went around the hill,so I crept up the hill, low to the ground till I could see the draw they woul come out of.When I reached it some of the antelope had already came through.I was to late I thought,wrong just when I sat up to look a doe busted me and off they ran.Back to the truck I went thinking that was my chance.As we drove out we saw some more coming back to the place were they were spooked in the morrning.I got my gear back on and started a new stalk,I crept up a hill till I could see the herd then I belly crawled in to position.The buck I wanted was in the herd!!I would crawl a few yards closer every time he put his head down.Now I was ready for a shot,but he started feeding away from me,I thought now or never.I judged the distance at around 350 yds waited for him to turn broad side and shot,missed shot low and behind(Forgot the wind),they didn' t know where I was at and so he didn' t run.Icranked another round down the pipe held mid-rib and the top of his back and squezzed,booom,thawak.He reared up on his hind legs spun in a circle and down he went.

He mesures 15 in tall,4 1/2 diggers and is 14 in wide inside with heavy bases.
When I get the pictures developed I will post them.

By far he was my hardest goat to get.BBJ
Old 10-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my Goat!!!!

Congrats, sounds like a good size goat. Got any pics?
Old 10-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Congratulations, BBJ! Look forward to seeing the pictures when you get them!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats
Old 10-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

Can anyone explain to me why people call pronghorns " goats" ?
Old 10-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

They do resemble goats in a way, I imagine they are long lost cousins.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:10 AM

duffy,

folks call pronghorns goats because they are actually more closely related to mountain goats than to antelope.

and congrats on the kill!

beej
Old 10-15-2003, 01:49 PM

Congrads, nice size to those horns
Old 10-15-2003, 07:20 PM

sounds like it was fun,congrars and good shootin
Old 10-16-2003, 12:56 AM
Typical Buck

Beej99
Not so according to a book in front of me " BIG GAME OF NORTH AMERICA" (ECOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT, A Wildlife Management Institute Book)

Here is what it says in the section on Mountain Goat TAXONOMY: " Some recent articles incorrectly claim that the mountain goat is a close relative of the pronghorn, which is the sole surviving species of the family Antilocapridae."

In the section on Pronghorn taxonomy it says:..." thus pronghorn maintain a unique distinction among North American big game due to scientific classification of a single family, genus and species."

So you see they are really not related to anything in N.A. and are PRONGHORN or Antelope and no more related to goats than you or I.

I guess I just have a thing for calling a spade a spade and not using any of the funny little nick names some folks think up for diffrent animals.

Robin

Quick Reply: Got my Goat!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.