Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone here eat goat? >

Anyone here eat goat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone here eat goat?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Anyone here eat goat?

After the funeral, yesterday....I went over and spent some much needed time with my father in law at his house. We always get around to talking about what he sees on his property (it's relatively close to where I hunt) as far as game goes. More to come....

I was talking to my principle landowner a month or so ago. He walks the outlying roads, for exercise, mornings and evenings. He's told me, already, of an albino doe that's holding in the land I just gained access to. That's great to know....with the season looming. He also told me of sighting an animal at a distance......that he couldn't identify. He told me of its size (larger than a whitetail)....and of its characteristics. It sounded, to me, like some sort of exotic that had maybe been in captivity, but had gotten itself free. Puzzling......

Back to my father in law and our visit....

Bob was telling me of a strange sighting he had a couple of weeks ago. He saw two "deer" standing at the corner of his property....eating honeysuckles. He went out to get a closer look (because they seemed like really big deer)....and said he stopped in his tracks when he realized they were GOATS.....lol. He said they were a pair (Nanny and Billy)....and that they were a lot larger than the deer in our area. The billy had horns that curved around....much like a mtn goat's would.

We talked of where they came from....and how they got to be in the "wild". He said he'd heard about these two for a couple years, now....and that they'd seemingly "escaped" from a farm several miles away.

Given the thread I started yesterday ("Weird" stuff coming down the trail).....I could only imagine seeing these two while perched in a tree. I admit I got to thinking.....

Does anyone eat goat?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone here eat goat?

I killed a Spanish Ram a few years back. It was horrible tasting, I mean there was nothing good about it. I tried the back straps, tasted like crap. I tried it ground up, tasted like crap. I even tried to mix some with deer in summer sausage batch, tasked like crap. Now these were wild rams, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have had ram on Gyros and that was really good. I guess maybe it depends on the type of goat/ram?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Ram/Goat=Yuk

I shot a Corsican /sp? Ram a while back....gross.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a some family/friends that are Philipino and it is a pretty common dish and common at their grocers. They call deer "american goats". One gentleman in particular loves deer hide, removes the fur, seasons it and fries it like pork rinds.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to eat a lot of crow lately[&:]

never tried Goat, Lamb, but not goat
Old 06-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 10 years ago I was rifle huinting when about 6-8 goats came past on a flat below me. I'm not sure where they came from, but after all of the racket they were making, I lost all confidence in seeing any deer and I pondered shooting as many of them as I could.......[:@]

I decided not too since I was hunting on someone else's lease.....

I forgot all about that
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my former life I worked for a large landscaping company that employed a lot of Mexican laborers. As part of our annual company "Summer" party they would cook up some goat meat on the grill. I ate my fair share of it, but never really enjoyed it. I always thought it was a bit greasy and stringy. They also chopped up the internal organs, stuffed them inside the stomach, and cooked that too. I forgot what it was called, but it wasn't very good either. To each their own I guess, but I'll pass on the goat meat from here on out.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, and I must admit it is the worst flavored meat I have ever comsumed. Young ones are decent, but anything older, particularly the billy, taste horrible and is extremely tough. I am sure it is possible to make it palitable but I have yet to find the sauce that does the trick.

The question is though, would you mount that set of horns?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Thebreed of goat determines if the meat is good or not.

I've got a friend who raises a specific type of goat andthey are excellent grilled or smoked. I can't remember what type of goat it is though, but I'll try to look it up.

I killed a barbarisou (sp?) ram a long time ago on an exotic hunt and the meat was pretty nasty.

Quick Reply: Anyone here eat goat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.