Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Instructional Dog training video's, would you buy one? >

Instructional Dog training video's, would you buy one?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Instructional Dog training video's, would you buy one?

Old 12-29-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Instructional Dog training video's, would you buy one?

Greetings Friends;

I have a question for you? What instructional or how to video's would you like to see made to help you in your hunting? For example, how to train your dog using whistle or voice commands, training techniques for puppies, what would you buy if it were available? Thanks for your help everyone.

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 12-29-2004, 02:44 PM

Default RE: Instructional Dog training video's, would you buy one?

I will tell you what's hard to find ---- a video about training and handling treedogs, particularly squirrel dogs. Finishing out a treedog takes a lot of work....a whole lot of work. You can't find a good video on training a squirrel dog becuase, for the most part, not many people really seem to know much about them, but also, the dog really trains itself...so a video about treedog training "facilitation" would be the correct term I guess...lol. This would be a hard video to make for someone who hasn't done it several times, though. Perhaps a video covering all types of universal dog training commands....such as "whoa" and "hunt in here" or "hunt this way" and "load up." Things that do not just apply to birddogs. Someone might be interested in this type of video if they can't seem to get it right on their own.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:56 PM

Hi Mike:

That's a great idea, I have hunted squirrels, but without a dog, I have heard they can make hunting real fun. What specifically would you like to see in dog training video's? I am considering on making one, since I don't own dog, I have friends that do and would help. I need dog owners help, so let me know what would be something you would like to see in an instructional video, thanks Mike, Take care and happy new year!

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 12-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, there are NO videos that will help you out nearly as much as good books --- with ONE EXCEPTION --- Mike Lardy's tape on E-collar conditioning a dog is better than any book available.

Evan Graham (author of the "Smartwork" series of books) is already in the process of making dog training instructional tapes. If you do make some dog training tapes, you really need to get a top notch - well known professional dog trainer to "deliver the message"............... and a "top notch pro" won't come cheap, which will make the price of your tapes be pretty high, if you're going to make a profit.