Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 New Pup; Cheasapeke Bay Retriever >

New Pup; Cheasapeke Bay Retriever

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New Pup; Cheasapeke Bay Retriever

Old 11-12-2004, 11:07 AM

Default New Pup; Cheasapeke Bay Retriever

My wife reminded me how much she loves me by getting me my "dream dog" My wife and her friend said that they were going shopping and having a day out so I let them go. She came home with a 9 week old female papered Cheasapeake Bay Retiever pup. I have a 7 yr. old Yellow Lab, but she's having hip problems and now she's also had 3 seziers that we know of so it's about her time. I've told my wife that I need a new hunting partner and since my wife wont get out there and retrieve the game I shoot I needed a new dog to train and to hunt with me. I've just started hunting ducks and geese this year and I religiously hunt quail, pheasant, and rabbits. I've read articles about Cheasapeake Bay Retrievers and they sounded like a great all around dog, plus the fact that their isn't very many of them made me want one. I've taken her on a couple of pheasant hunts already and she does pretty good. I shot one out of the air and she went and found it, but didn't know what to do with it. After a minute or so she grabbed it by the neck and brought it to me! That gets me excited!!! Anyone else out there got a Chessie that they hunt with?
Old 11-12-2004, 01:05 PM

Default RE: New Pup; Cheasapeke Bay Retriever

Yes indeedy!! Congrats. I'm sure that UplandChessies will say the same. Do you have a copy of The Complete Chesapeake Bay Retriever? There are two editions the most recent by DR. Janet Horn I believe. Good Resource for you to own. Then there is the Chesapeake Calender to schedule all your hunting time on.....Hope your wife is writing this down, great early Christmas presents.
I am 100% certain you are going to enjoy this animal. Sounds like she is ready to go already. Where is the picture?
Old 11-12-2004, 02:46 PM

I have two Chessies and they're ok for hunting. Hehehehe. Seriously, everyone knows that Chessies are great waterfowlers, but they handle upland game birds with the same expertise. I'm curious, what articles did you read on the breed? May have been one that I wrote. Also, look for an article on the breed to appear in the Upland Almanac Spring '05. I try to dispel some of the stereotypes.

Congrats on a wonderful breed! Here's a little tip: Expose the dog to as much upland game (and waterfowl if you desire) as you can and you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uplandchessies

I try to dispell some of the stereotypes.
Do you mean you don't really need 2X4's
Old 11-13-2004, 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc E

ORIGINAL: uplandchessies

I try to dispell some of the stereotypes.
Do you mean you don't really need 2X4's
Have not heard that one before. Lol.

I'd say such training methods (2x4) would cause hardheadedness and aggressiveness in any breed. Additionally, blaming the breed for ones training inadequacies is always the easy way out.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:26 AM

LMAO. I never used the 2x4 either. Have heard some say a 2x4 for labs 4x4 for chessies but I wouldn't want to know anyone who did either. Another one was to take your Chessie out with your lab and everytime your lab messed up to discipline your chessie. Of course I don't agree with any of the above. Congrats again on the new pup!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:16 AM

Gosh, DocE I hope you are just joking about the 2x4. I have had labs for over 40 years and am now on my second Chessie. They have both been very mild temperament dogs. You must establish your dominance over almost any dog starting when they are a pup. One thing realy helps in training any dog. Be smarter than the dog!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drgildy

Gosh, DocE I hope you are just joking about the 2x4. I have had labs for over 40 years and am now on my second Chessie. They have both been very mild temperament dogs. You must establish your dominance over almost any dog starting when they are a pup. One thing realy helps in training any dog. Be smarter than the dog!
Maybe I needed to put in more than one *wink*

Training a Chessie with a 2X4 is a joke that has been around a very long time.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: drgildy

You must establish your dominance over almost any dog starting when they are a pup. One thing realy helps in training any dog. Be smarter than the dog!

AMEN. If you ain't training... you must be gettin trained