Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

over weight dog

Old 07-19-2004, 04:14 PM

Default RE: over weight dog

tell your freind to have his vet pull some blood and check the dogs T4 level. She might be hypothyroid.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

dogdr......thank you, i sent him this site on this subject, he will look at it later tonight......she does have the skin sores/itches, but they have been treated by the vet, apparently she said it was fleas, but they have frontline and dont get fleas but she is the vet and i didnt question it.......but whatever it was works.....she has the droopy eyes for sure, but i thought that was her age showing....she had cancer when she younger, they did surgery, she's a survivor ..... i think your suggestion is awesome and Buffy and i thank you.......i just called him and he said he'll make her appointment....he's all scared now, poor guy.....i told him not to worry, better safe than sorry.....
Old 07-21-2004, 05:54 AM

...having worked in rescue for nearly a decade, here is what I have learned. I usually do not have to option to reduce food. I rescue Beagles and Coonhounds...the Coonies aren't so bad but the Beagles...take away thier food and they will start eating ANYTHING THEY CAN GET THIER TEETH INTO! We have had some grossly obese beagles. one that was taken to vet to be put down because she was so fat she could not walk...62 lbs...she could not get up my stoop because of her huge belly. In extreme cases there are prescription diets Like Science Diet RD...for just general weight loss here is my suggestion. Do not cut back the dogs food in any dramatic fashion...maybe by 1/3...and for the most part the lite foods will do you NO good when used as the ONLY means towards weight loss. You have to increase the dogs activity level and metabolism. First eliminate fatty treats...use carrots, cheerios, whatever...increase exercise...(develope a plan however. Do not just suddenly start walking your fat dog long distances...start slowly and add distance over time. You can do as much harm as good by over exercising your fat dog). Start a daily vitamin regement. Any over the counter vitamin supplement will do. The vitamins will help give the pup a bit more energy and make her more willing to exercise. Schedule play time...every one should spend at least 15 minutes a day playing with thier dogs...very few do...schedule the play time in addition to exercise and at sometime that is consistant everyday...when you get home, just before you feed, just before bed...whatever...(lets use when you get home as an example)get her excited about something so that in the future (after the weight loss)...when you come home she will be used to play and will get excited and bounce about...this behavioral change improves her spirits as well as...in the future...she will exercise herself this little bit everyday.