Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

over weight dog

Old 07-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default over weight dog

i have a friend that told me today his buffy(cocker spaniel) was over weight (she weighs 42lbs.)and the vet said she needed to lose some.....she's 12 yrs. old , doesnt get walked, she just hangs out around the house, but as she ages, she doesnt participate with the other 2 doggies, she might bark at them when playin'......he feeds her one lil,6-8oz. dixie cup of lamb and rice when he leaves in the a.m. and another at night......would you take away her food quanity or excercise her a lil'....i personally dont think she gets enough food(my cats get more than what she gets), but she's healthy, so i have no say....he loves her with all of his heart and will be devastated when her time is up.....i want them both to be happy and healthy.........but is taking her food away the answer? i may be wrong, i've been known to be wrong before , and if i am , please help me understand , if he is going about the wrong way, then please help him understand.......i suggested a low calorie lamb and rice, that is all she can eat or her skin gets irritated......and a lil short walk in the morning or evenings......
Old 07-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: over weight dog

Obesity = The intake of more calories than are expended.

This means that for the dog to lose weight, either the food has to be decreased or the exercise increased.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a dog that needed to lose weight I used a diet dog food Purina fit & trim .There are several others out there , and or ask the vet . Blackmail the dog to go for a walk if it can with a low cal. treat , my lab loves carrot sticks.

NRA Life
DU
NAHC Life
Pheasants Forever
Old 07-17-2004, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

i looked up a weight chart for cockers and it said an adult can weigh 25-50 lbs., she's not obese, just chunky.....i understand that she needs to lose weight, i just dont understand how taking what lil food away that she does get will be the answer....
he made me thier mommy a long time ago because they didnt have one and they just love me to death, i'm just trying to help......he's going to do what he wants to do when it comes to them without my interference, i just want him to know the best way.......
she would love to go for a walk, he just doesnt want to go, thinks she is too old, so no treats will be needed if he went that route.....he gives her one lil treat a day, nothing else, no table scraps, no dropped on the floor under the dinner table goodies...just her dog food 2 twice a day....
Old 07-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

i understand that she needs to lose weight, i just dont understand how taking what lil food away that she does get will be the answer....
Because, as I said, "Obesity is the intake of more calories than are expended". What's not to understand?
Old 07-17-2004, 03:25 PM

huntnma,

In my opinion, that's too much food for a Cocker Spaniel. Especially for an inactive one. My lab gets that same amount of food (about a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening). He's in excellent shape according to our vet (he could actually lose a few pounds), he's got tons of energy, and he's ready to eat when I put food in his bowl.

The correct amount of dog food also depends on the dog food's level of quality. I used to feed Pedigree, and fed about 4 cups a day of that, compared to 2 cups a day of Iams. A dog requires more of a lesser quality feed than a higher quality feed due to the indigestable ingredients found in the cheaper brand.

Your friend's dog is probably getting too much to eat, given its lack of exercise.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd just exercise her more.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:17 PM

Take the dog running! I run with my lab about 3-4 miles a day and she loves it! It also helps keep her calm![8D]
Old 07-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doc E

ORIGINAL: huntnma

i understand that she needs to lose weight, i just dont understand how taking what lil food away that she does get will be the answer....
Because, as I said, "Obesity is the intake of more calories than are expended". What's not to understand?
well i understand what it means, i guess i just feel she doesnt eat enough as is, not even 16 oz. a day...... all dogs are different , i know , so i won't worry about her.....i just wish he'd take her for walks, instead of taking her food away.....thanks for the opinions...........
Old 07-19-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote] well i understand what it means, i guess i just feel she doesnt eat enough as is, not even 16 oz. a day...... all dogs are different , i know , so i won't worry about her.....i just wish he'd take her for walks, instead of taking her food away.....thanks for the opinions...........
[/quote]

I agree with you. It has to be one or the other. Increased exercise (calorie expenditure) is better for the dog than reduced food.

Quick Reply: over weight dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.