Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Few Questions about Lab Puppy... >

Few Questions about Lab Puppy...

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Few Questions about Lab Puppy...

Old 12-15-2003, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Few Questions about Lab Puppy...

OK, I am sorta new to the dog world and I just picked up my puppy on Friday night... It's a male Yellow Lab, I have a few questions about him though...

#1. How can I get him to sleep at night without all the whinning, or is that just a puppy thing...??
#2. Where can I get a Camo Puppy Collar for him...?? I see the big ones online but no Puppy ones...
#3. How should the dog respond to me, he is 9 weeks old and sometimes it seems as though he cannot hear me... I whistle at him or call his name rather loud at times, and he has no reaction at all.. Is it normal for him to be in his own world and maybe ignor me...?? I know he is new to the house, and being away from his litter mates, but I just want to make sure he is not hard of hearing or something... I am taking him to the Vet this week, for his checkup and shots.

Any Input would be greatly appreciated, especially on the whinning cause the GF is NOT HAPPY... So I have to get him to chill out at night, otherwise him and I both are going to be outside...haha

P.S. His Crate is in our room at this point... I heard he will bond better to us, if he sleeps in our room...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:12 PM

Default RE: Few Questions about Lab Puppy...

1. He is singing the Puppy Blues....put one of your flannel shirts or something with your scent in the crate with him. He will get used to the crate in a couple of weeks.....If he is whining in the middle of the night he may have to go to the bathroom. At 9 months his bladder is not very large.

2. Try Dogs Afield or Cabelas.

3. He heres you just fine, he will have to get used to you and your surroundings and his name. Would you resopond to someone calling you Drake? Give him a little time

4. Your screwed! I had to sleep in the basement with my boys! lol

5. Start working on your basic obedience with him.....2-3 times per day 5 minutes tops.....get 10 minute retriever by John nd Amy Dahl....and do exactly as it says...no slacking and your boy will be a obeident dog and yur wife will let you back into the bedroom!

Good Luck and Good Training!