Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Me, my dog, my puppy, and my questions... >

Me, my dog, my puppy, and my questions...

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Me, my dog, my puppy, and my questions...

Old 08-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Me, my dog, my puppy, and my questions...

First off, I'd like to introduce myself to anyone on here who I've never met. I'm not sure I've ever been in the Sporting Dogs Forum, I tend to spend most of my time up the the Bowhunting Forum. My name is Steven, I'm a senior in high school, and I now own two beagles (both males).

Yesterday I got a new beagle puppy. He was a stray that my neighbors found a few weeks ago that no one claimed. They couldn't take care of him, so I offered to take him...I just can't take the thought of sending a perfectly good dog to the pound if it isn't needed. I'm hoping to train him to run rabbits eventually....although I'm not sure how far we will progress before hunting season rolls around.

My first question, I already have an older beagle (nuetered). What is the best way to get them used to each other? The old guy is pretty nice, but it is his territory. Yesterday he barked at the puppy forever. Today he has calmed down quite a bit....now he only barks when he sees me going over to the little guy. Today I even took the pup on a leash and let them touch. They sniffed and smelled and rubbed....Freckles (older) growled a few times but nothing to fierce. The puppy couldn't care less what was going on. Is there anything else I should do to help them meet/get along besides what I'm already doing?

Second question....is there any good online sources/reading material that I could look at to help me train him. The older one isn't trained to run rabbits so that doesn't help me at all. Right now he is spunky and bouncy...he needs obedience training as well.Any thing you guys might thing would be beneficial is greatly appreciated.

Anything other advice you guys have is welcome too! I'm new to this so I'm open to anything.

Thanks

Heres a few pics....
The new guy: (still needs a name)

Old 08-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Me, my dog, my puppy, and my questions...

Him again:

Old 08-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

And my older dog Freckles with a shed he found on 8/10:

Old 09-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

new guy looks like a Barney or a baxter to me, lol.......love the pics.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:19 AM

i would just say to let the dogs interact with each other like you are doing.. having a pup around really helps keep the older guy for may more years then expected as well... i used to have an old husky.. she was about 12 and didnt look like she would make it much longer.. we got a beagle pup and it kept the old husky alive for another 3 years.. but at first they were timid around each other but eventually came to be best friends..

ps.. great looking dogs..
Old 09-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Healthy looking dogs! Enjoy them!