Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New Puppy Questions

Old 09-07-2005, 12:40 PM

Default New Puppy Questions

Hi iam 18 years old and in the next 2 years iam going to be getting a chocolate lab(pure bread) and I was wondering if this will be a good gun dog breed? And what are the expected prices of a pure bread chocolate lab? Thanks in advance.

Moosehunter21
Old 09-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Puppy Questions

It really depends upon what you're hunting and what type of terrain. If hunting strictly upland birds then I would recommend a field breed type, ie. pointer/setter/spaniel. If ducks and geese then go for the lab. If you're hunting a little bit of both then a verstile breed, ie. GSP/Griffon/GWP, etc. After that it's all preference. Do you like to see a dog point? Would you like the dog to flush for you?

Also, you definitely want to get one from hunting/field lines. Just because the dog is pretty won't make it hunt. Watch out for ads that say, "champion show dogs and great hunters". Most likely, they've never hunted the parents or hunted period.

As to price, it depends upon availability. How many labs are in your area. Here, there are alot so prices should be resonable or less. Make friends with other hunters. They will sometimes sell pups to other hunters alot cheaper to someone they know who will hunt them.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:22 AM

I think Mite bout said it all.

BTW ; I noticed your print is very small, I and a lot have bad eyesite and myself I have to get close to the screen to read it. Just wondering why it is so small?[]
Old 09-08-2005, 01:15 PM

I would strongly suggest the Lab, especially if it is your first gun dog and you are training it yourself. Labs live to please and work. Other breeds haven't the balance between pleasing and working you will find in a WELL BRED LAB'S TEMPERMENT. Notice I said well bred, meaning a strong hunting line.
Mite and I will disagree in the choice for a dog to hunt over if one is splitting waterfowl and upland duties. This ok. you came here for differing view points. I think shooting a pointed bird is quite over-rated. So the dog stops. Big deal. I want to shoot the bird and I don't want to have to wade through a mile of brush to find it. If my dog flushes it then I will shoot it. If you buy a Lab, you will have a very versatile gun dog. Labs do point but with a little judicious discipline this fault can be overcome (Sorry Doc-E I couldn't resist). Flushing dogs work well in the uplands. Any Lab worth the feed it is inhaling can and will flush (or point, I said it) all the birds you will want and do it quite well. To let you know I have hunted over and trained Retrievers (I like Chessies), Spaniels (AWS), Pointers (field trial bred and contrary to what most say could hunt and find birds, helping my son train a German shorthair right now) and Terriers(Jagdterrier, my favorite breed because they are so versatile). I used all of the above to shoot ducks over but I hunted grouse and chukars as much as I hunted ducks and my flushers handled the birds as well as my pointers. If you like the Lab, go for it. You will have a very versatile dog.

Dr Fatguy
Old 09-09-2005, 01:58 PM

Drfatguy: thank you for your well put reply. I have settled on a lab.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:44 AM

LAB.would be my choice, even if you spend big bucks on him, he's not guaranteed. you'll have to train him on what you want. i paid 150.00 for a ckc.reg.lab.he does great with what i've trained him to do,(the basics,retrieves) good luck.