Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Training a dog for doves. >

Training a dog for doves.

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training a dog for doves.

Old 09-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Training a dog for doves.

My buddy is wanting to train his dog for dove hunting. He has a nice little lab and he seems to do ok when throwing a real bird, but the question he has is........Do you know where he could purchase supplies to aid in the training of doves? Scents and that kind of stuff. He has looked and not been able to locate anything but a dummy that looks like a dove.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:23 AM

Default RE: Training a dog for doves.

Nothing works like the real thing. Use only frozen dove at first. A nice warm little dove can be very tempting to chew and swallow!!!
Old 09-20-2003, 02:46 AM

Default RE: Training a dog for doves.

Tell him to be carfull when training with real birds, especially if it is hot! Dove feathers come out real easy and if the dog is panting hard he could suck a few of the feathers in and get turned off of them. I would also recomend going out a few times without his gun and say have you do the shooting and have him handle the dog. I think dokkens makes a dove sized bumper, but I don' t know about scents. It is hard for a dog to mark something as small as a dove so I would work on that a lot until you could get a bunch of birds or scents to start working on scenting.

YL03