Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
pitbulls for coon hunting >

pitbulls for coon hunting

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

pitbulls for coon hunting

Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Bulldogs require different training techniques than other breeds as they are naturally strong willed and over bearing. They will test you to see how far they can get, this is why I suggest heavy handed training techniques.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Spike

He was by himself. It suprised the heck out of me he had never seen a coon and he jumped on the first one.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Spike

alot of times any dog that sees something running sets off thier natural predatory instict to chase and kill it. see if you can turn a few more loose on him so he can catch them by sight, then start waiting until the coon is out of sight to turn the dog loose. if he saw where it went he should head straight that way, if he doesnt see it right off, he should start using his nose. make sure you give plenty of love and reward when he smells one right, esp if he rears up and trees it. he might mark or signal the correct tree the first time, but i would bet getting him to tree like a coon dog is going to be your hardest challenge. thats where having real coon dogs will help. if they tree a few while he is around, he will eventually jump up on the tree and bark with them
Old 06-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Bulldogs have a ton of game instincts, they take very little training to pursue and catch game. As far as a treeing dog, you may be out of luck as they have many traits that arent good for this. They are relatively short winded and it will show on any race of length, they also dont have the deep resonating voice a tree dog needs in order to be located on the tree. Bulldogs often yap at their quarry when they cant reach it. A good bulldog wont bay on the ground either as they are bred to catch. Good luck with your dog, training him to hunt will be a great experience.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Spike

don't coons like pitbulls?
Old 08-25-2021, 12:47 PM
Spike

Default What kind of advice is that???

If you know how to properly train your dog, you don't need to hit it! Especially not "hard."

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Could be
pure, maybe a little boxer or Am Staff. Start working with hi,m now and command his respect and obedience. Training bulldogs isnt for weak willed folks. If you let him hell walk all over you. P.S when it comes to physically disciplining him, hit him as hard as you think you should, then whack him twice as hard.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigtomshooter
ok thanks for the advice
Don't hit your dog. That's ******* advice.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:16 PM
Spike

Default Safety and Health Related Question

Hey fellas, my game bred pit dog has that catch dog DNA hardwired in him and all he wants to do is fire on something. He's caught a few squirrels and a rodent or two, but I know he would like to go after larger quarry. My question is (1) can my dog catch any diseases, such as rabies (even though he's inoculated) while fighting a coon? (2) Should I expect some injuries to my dog if he gets a hold of one? Not sure about coons in the U.S, but our Canadian coons can fight like hell, and (3) Same question, but regarding coyotes? I know my boy can handle himself and is no slouch by any means. I'm just concerned for health and vet bills. For reference he is a rednose (by description), 60lbs, 2 yrs and 3 months old; scatterbred blood but off some of the best lines - redboy-jocko/bolio-tombstone and Garner up top and larsen-wilrox, boogieman-castillo blood on the bottom. He's from the great state of Florida where both his parents are finished catch dogs. Mother is also a titled Iron Dog and ADBA champ. No hogs up here in the Great White North unfortunately. Looking for a hobby and some outdoor activities for myself and my boy. Any extra advice appreciated thx!
Old 08-25-2021, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is also a 11 yr old thread folks
and why again I think these older post at some point should be a LOCK on them so no more content can be added
feel free to read and learn from old post, but dragging them up again to add ??

adding to these old posts,
and IMO<
all the more so when directed at folks that haven't been on the site in yrs or not even members anymore here,
its not helping anyone get any where or learn more or from them if you ask me! ??
just my 2 cents
as I i'd rather see new posts on topic's and such where we have ALL active members adding things if they wish in current times!

Old 08-25-2021, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fabio
Don't hit your dog. That's ******* advice.
It is different dog to dog and breed to breed. Some you just have to dominate or the only alternative is to put them down or lock them in a cage. When the breeding goes wrong you can end up with a man-eater and long drawn-out training is a recipe for disaster. You have to dominate them quick and then train from there. And the only way to do it is to kick their butts, Dogs are tough, but as long as you don't overdo it and injure them it may be the only way. I had a Rottweiler Beagle mix (Czech Bear Dog) that would pretty much eat you if he didn't know you. His only saving grace is he liked children. If he screwed up it could be life and death. I was his leader and disciplinarian and believe me he needed periodic reminders, the alternative was a catastrophe. He was a dope dog reject, he was rejected for being overly aggressive. Hell of a Hog dog, strong nose dog, good tracking instincts and would take on a whole sounder in a thicket. If you walked up on him and he didn't know you and you gave him a pet pet you'd be lucky to get your hand back.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-25-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.