HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - pitbulls for coon hunting
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 01:16 PM
Fabio
Spike

Default Safety and Health Related Question

Hey fellas, my game bred pit dog has that catch dog DNA hardwired in him and all he wants to do is fire on something. He's caught a few squirrels and a rodent or two, but I know he would like to go after larger quarry. My question is (1) can my dog catch any diseases, such as rabies (even though he's inoculated) while fighting a coon? (2) Should I expect some injuries to my dog if he gets a hold of one? Not sure about coons in the U.S, but our Canadian coons can fight like hell, and (3) Same question, but regarding coyotes? I know my boy can handle himself and is no slouch by any means. I'm just concerned for health and vet bills. For reference he is a rednose (by description), 60lbs, 2 yrs and 3 months old; scatterbred blood but off some of the best lines - redboy-jocko/bolio-tombstone and Garner up top and larsen-wilrox, boogieman-castillo blood on the bottom. He's from the great state of Florida where both his parents are finished catch dogs. Mother is also a titled Iron Dog and ADBA champ. No hogs up here in the Great White North unfortunately. Looking for a hobby and some outdoor activities for myself and my boy. Any extra advice appreciated thx!