Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
pitbulls for coon hunting >

pitbulls for coon hunting

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

pitbulls for coon hunting

Old 09-13-2021, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

My pit mix is a big sweetheart. Not a mean bone in her body.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:00 PM
Spike

I run a staffordshire terrier and a bluetick coonhound, it is a lethal combo for those who don't know. They run about 100yds apart until one hits and the other soon follows. If the coon comes out the tree the staffy will make quick work out of it. My dogs run quiet through the woods until they hit something, then it's on. Tracking, my staffy always watches the trees. Nose to the ground or the sky, very observant of her surroundings and they are definitely in tune with each other in the woods. I will say the blueticks nose is superior, but they can both track. When the coonhounds on something shes all instinct. The staffordshire is more controllable/mindful of commands even If she's got one treed. Hope this helps someone. I do also find comfort with having a staffy in the woods at night, as while we hunt coon its easy to become hunted by something else ourselves.