Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 how much for a well trained squirrel dog? >

how much for a well trained squirrel dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

how much for a well trained squirrel dog?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 PM

Default RE: how much for a well trained squirrel dog?

ORIGINAL: jrfrmn

I agree with headhunter. You can't beat the terriers. Jack Russel or the black and tan Rat Terrier. Terriers also make good pheasant hunters.
Too bad we don't have any pheasants in Louisiana.

My feist is actualy a few generations down from a rat terrier cross with a blue tick for it's nose.According to the breeder I got her from feists are basically just any ol' mix breed under 30 lbs and in order to be registered with ATFA they have to actually be seen treeing a squirrel or coon.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Spike

You might want to check into Mountain Curs or American Leopards.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:46 PM

For consistency in squirrel dogs, I don't think you can beat curs and feists. But a good, trained squirrel dog is NOT cheap. I think they cost a lot because people often know what a commodity they have in a finished squirrel dog.Dogs bredfor squirrel hunting are a dime a dozen but good dogscan be a differentstory. You don'twant to end up with somebody's junk. At the same time, there are plenty of nice dogs you can find.You can pay $300 for an adult dog and you can pay $8,000 for an adult dog. I have seen it all and everywhere between. Maybe try a started dog because they can often be had at puppy price or a little more, yet the "raising" is already done and you can just start hunting and working the dog. If it doesn't make a dog, you may have less money in it. I got one of my mountain curs with her littermate for $200 for the pair. In a few months I was killing game. I probably got lucky, but it can happen. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: idunno

Thanks for the help... I have a wife who doesn't want to have any dogs in the house so I'll have to figure out some other way.
Goof grief, get some back bone and then think about a dog! If you can't even control your relationship with your wife what the hell do you intend to do with a dog, except screw him up also?

Git rid of her, training the dog will be easy, a new women will be even easier. But you can sit on your backside and listen to that crap for the rest of your life! Think about it! Good grief!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Spike

More than you want to pay, thats for sure!LOL

Honestly, a good, dependable, broke squirrel dog probably can't be bought for less than 2,000 bucks without the seller losing money on the deal. And 5,000 bucks would not be unreasonable at all.
Good luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 AM
Banned

Mountain Feist are the best breed for squirrel hunting IMO.