Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Almost trained-but need help >

Almost trained-but need help

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Almost trained-but need help

Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Spike

Default Almost trained-but need help

Well i've finally trained my springer spaniel how to fetch quite consistently. I have even used a dead bird a few times. But as he is bringing the bird back to me, he chews on it. What should i do? He won't chew on it when he's right beside me, but as soon as he's out of reach he begins gnawing on it. Any suggestions? How come it seems like my dog is the only dog with this problem?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Almost trained-but need help

Your dog is not the only one.
The cure is Force Fetch........ Pure and simple.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will second that! Force Fetch!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have a Springer that did the same thing in his early training. Hehas now been hunting for 5 years.
I used a check cord about 20 feet long. I began by putting the pheasant wingfew steps away. Once he retrived it, I gently pulled on the leash
and used my "Drop it" command into my hands. He was then rewarded each time he did it successsfully.

I then increased the distance while still on the leash. Soon he was retrieving from the total distance and dropping the wing
without any command.Eventually, he retrieved and dropped the bird to hand without and cord.

At that pointI thought all was well and good until we hit the field for the first time.
When that first bird dropped from the sky, he went directly to the bird, covered it and looked at me like I had two heads.
I called him over, told him to drop it into my hands which he did reluctantly.
I then picked up the bird and gave it to him. He was full of excitement. After a few moments, I called him over and told him to drop it
into my outreached hands, whiich he did. He was then rewarded not only by a treat but also by kind words.

It did not take long before he retrieved the birds, came back to me and dropped it into my hands.
He now lives for the praise he receives when he does good. He can hardly wait to get back to hunting after he releases each bird.

I understand many folks have their personal way of teaching Force Fetch their ownwaybut the way described above worked well for us both.
He now understands exactly what is expected and lives to be afield.
Good Luck!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I have trained him to force fetch somewhat. He can hold the bird fine when standing next to me and heeling. And will give on command. I guess i just need to keep working on him.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

FF is not a "somewhat" exercise.

Each and every step in a good sequential training program must be completed before moving on.

Slow down -- don't skip steps -- follow the program, page by page, and chapter by chapter.
Dog training isn't a race.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 PM

Two tricks come to mind......first you can try a longer check cord, and have helper shoot the bird.... you run with cc in hand, and that way there isnt any fart around time fo rthe dog....you are immediatly there in sight for the dog.....on my natural work.....this will work well, along with allowing the dog to carry some, but he/she doesnt come off cord till it proves to you that it understands what an how.
Or get the obedience good an tight....at the start without game or the retrieve...have it collar conditioned and ready before the retrieve work starts back up again. Then when you have it getting back "here" almost instantly......start doing a retrieve or two with the same set up as you have been doing the ob work.
Dog is creature of habit.......when the ob work is going on, and you have overlayed the here work, to almost flawless...dog gets used to that situation......and it will start getting snappy when you say here.......along with later when you add a retrieve.....it is used top being snappy without a retrieve...it overlays to still being snappy...but with the retrieve, it will take a little bit, but once it starts showing itself, it will work out. Thanks Jonesy