Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 how much for a well trained squirrel dog? >

how much for a well trained squirrel dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

how much for a well trained squirrel dog?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM

Default how much for a well trained squirrel dog?

Anyone on here know what it would cost to buy a squirrel dog that's treeing good?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 PM

Default RE: how much for a well trained squirrel dog?

No one fooling with squirrel dogs?

Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: idunno

I'll try and help you. You really have to be careful in the are of buying a trained squirrel dog. There are a lot of disreputable trainers out there. Do a google search and you should be able to come up with a website for squirrel dogs. You'll find they come in all shapes and sizes.
The problem is when someone has a really good dog they don't sell them, get it. They tend to sell dogs that don't perform well but do perform.
Your best bet is finding a pup out of a decent breeding and train it yourself . I hope this helps you.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

You might be able to find some info here
http://www.sqdog.com/forums/index.php?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Changeling

ORIGINAL: idunno

I'll try and help you. You really have to be careful in the are of buying a trained squirrel dog. There are a lot of disreputable trainers out there. Do a google search and you should be able to come up with a website for squirrel dogs. You'll find they come in all shapes and sizes.
The problem is when someone has a really good dog they don't sell them, get it. They tend to sell dogs that don't perform well but do perform.
Your best bet is finding a pup out of a decent breeding and train it yourself . I hope this helps you.

I tried that route and got a dog with really good bloodline and I failed her. She's about 2-1/2 now and not treeing at all. I'm thinking about breeding her and starting over but I don't have the time necessary to train a dog. So I'm kindof thinking about buying a trained dog.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Did she not have enough preydrive? Did she notshow interest in chasing than staying at the tree? What kind og dog were you using?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:01 PM

She will chase but not stay on tree at all. I have a feist from a very reputable breeder in Louisiana. She's bred off of his top producing stud and he has several champion and grand champion ATFA dogs.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

That can be frustrating. Some dogs just have ADD like that I guess. They loose interest if you don't rush up and shoot fast enough. Someone once told me some dogs can't be pulled off a tree and others have to have that drive created. My buddy has a Jack Russell that will literally snap in a rage at you if you try to teather him and pull him back from the tree! I like terrier types for thier drive and treeing abilities.Don't beafraid to try something different just make sure you getone that has that drive temperment to them. Sometimes waiting to buy a pup that isolderto see this is worth it. I am training a cane corso for treeing and I started out with him looking out the window at the squirrel bait pile and telling himBAD SQUIRREL. After awhile I don't think he liked them to much!! LOL Then I wouldopen the door a say GIT EM and up the tree they went!This has worked like a champ for me.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the help... I have a wife who doesn't want to have any dogs in the house so I'll have to figure out some other way.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with headhunter. You can't beat the terriers. Jack Russel or the black and tan Rat Terrier. Terriers also make good pheasant hunters.

Quick Reply: how much for a well trained squirrel dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.