Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Torn pad

Old 09-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Torn pad

Took Zoomie out this a.m. to the local forest preserve. We're about two miles from the car, in a downpour, & I notice Zoomie holding his back right paw up. I think "oh no, we've done this before". I stop him & see the blood running through the puddles. He somehow managed to tear his main pad half off! I had to call my wife, (who was sleeping) & have her pick us up & take us to the vet. The vet had to knock him out to clean & suture the wound.
I just got Zoomie home after he was there for 4 hours. He's still doped up &passed out on his pillow. Poor guy! We take the bandages off on Monday.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Torn pad

i have been there before. it always happens right before the season opens

Old 09-19-2008, 06:27 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Me too and even when hunting, Now your pup's wound was big asI read it.

But One thing I carry for smaller wounds is EMT gel and panty hose. Using small patches of panty hose with a bit of EMT gel - well the dog will be no worse for wear. But make sure the wound/cut is leaned out good and dry.

JW
Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

EMT Gel --- Don't leave home without it.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe also look into getting hunting boots for your dog. Bass pro, Gander, Cabelas, Sportsman they all sell them. There really good if you dog does a lot of running on rough ground or has tender paws. Judging by your name on here, I going to make an assumption that you have a Vizsla. And Vizsla's can run and run and run and pretty much out last any other dog. Dogs that are that active on tuff ground it might be a good investment.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:39 AM

I had somewhat of the same thing happen to me a month ago... my GSP's got loose in the heat of the day. When they came back home everything seemed fine but the next day my girlfriend called telling me that one of my dogs could stand up and would loose his balance when he went to eat.I raced home and took him right to the vet.......after testing him from everything under the sun my vet was stumped.....she took a stool sample...a blood test...head to toe examination...
Right before we left she picked up his foot and immediatly saw the problem.His pads had been burned off by the hot asphault in the heat of the day.It took two weeks and lots of antibacterial numbing cream to get both dogs healed! It was very painful for my dogs and myself.