Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Im torn

Old 08-03-2008, 04:55 PM

Default Im torn

Well with the regulations being changed in NY I can shutgun hunt this year. It was known in my house when I turned 16, the old age to shutgun hunt, I would get a shutgun. Well its my 15th birthday in a week and my parents rather get me a new bow for some 3-D shooting. The bow I have is fine and I was planning on buying a new one with my own money after this season. I really want a shutgun, but I also wouldnt mind a new bow. My dad does not hunt but we have a nice gun collection, everything from AK-47s to O/U, to old WWII guns. The only gun we can use for shutgun deer is a crappy Mossberg 500, I dont know what to do. MY bow needs about 85 bucks worth of work, string, sights, rest, quiver.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Im torn

i chose c.

by the way it is spelt "shotgun"

Old 08-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I'm torn

The Mossberg 500 is not that bad of a gun you just need a slug barrel for it.

And my choose would be C also. But if you go against your parents wishes you may find yourself not hunting at all! I have a son that tends to do that with stuff he really wants but doesn't really need IMHO so I tell himno and if he does it anyway guess what he loses alot of his privileges.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take what every your parents give you for your birthday and be grateful that they would do something like this for you. Next year, starting early in June, start talking about a shotgun w/slug barrel. I think you will be very happy on that birthday.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will need to present your 'case' to your parents in logical, calm manner. Point out your recent accomplishments such as grades, chores or other examples of positive, mature behavior. If they still say 'no', you're done with the shotgun option - get over it and move on. You probably can't buy it without their permission and if you did, you will really be in the doghouse.

The Mossberg 500 (with slug barrel) is an excellent, reliable deer killer.

You can probably afforda cantileverslug barrel, scopeand fix up your bow - if your parents concur.

Spelling doesn't count on here.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:41 PM

I can afford any new shotgun I want, I make lots of money mowing lawns. Have the money to buy a new gun and bow cash in my safe. I dont believe in banks. The Mossberg has a deer barrel and scope but have been using that to shoot trap/turkey. Scope always moved when we shot it so think i would use iron sights. My dad also thinks that the cheapest bow is the best bow. I have only shot the bow I have, it came from an online place.