Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

squirrel dogs

Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Default squirrel dogs

this may be a topic for the small game area, but are there any guys here the use the treeing feist to hunt bushy tails?

We have for years. they are an awesome site to see in a cypress swamp in December.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: squirrel dogs

My Arkansas cousin uses Rat Terriers that he raises for "fun". He does not have what some might call high-dollar blood line stiff, but everyone I have ever hunted behind will absolutely wear us out. He has two now . "Girl" and "Bosco" that hunt great.

Don't laugh ... my squirrel do is a Dachshund ... named Tex! He's a superb treeing dog (and a better blood trailer) and a slow walker, like me !! Problem is he is 13 and I'm guessing not many season, if even this next one left.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 PM

mojotex,

sorry to be so, long to reply. Dachshunds are the coolest. I know how you feel about your bud there, i have several dogs and they are all getting older too quick for me.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

I've heard of lots of people using treeing feist for squirrels. I myself prefer some form of Cur not for any real reason... I'm just partial to 'em
Old 07-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Yorkie, she really sucks at hunting but she has so much fun that I can't leave her at home.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

We always use our Tennessee Mountain Curr named Patches. We didn't have to train her to tree a squirrle, she just does it because that is what her breed is designed to do. She is also a born killer, so we have to get to the squirrles before she does. On her own she has killed at least one of the following: squirrle, rabbit, opposum, ground hog, mole, chipmunk, and mouse. If it moves she pounces on it. Once whatever she has stops moving she stops playing.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love treeing feist. I have one who is about 5 now who will get the squirrels and opssumms like crazy. I know most people wouldnt want there dogs treeing a possumm but sense they kill my chickens around here I dont mind it. Unfortunetly feist are bred to kill and she kills my chickens if i dont put her in the privacy fence. And she's a natural treedog as well, just walked her in the woods and she did it on her own.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted behind Rat Terriers ... both were superb. Lots of folks call these and any "breed" or mix breed of small terrier looking dogs a Fiest.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Chinook X Alaskan Husky / Timberwolf(25%) and an Alaskan Village dog (read husky mutt). They tree squirrels, run snowshoe hare, mtn. cottontails and the wolfdog has learned to point grouse from a buddies Visla. I don't trust him to retrieve though
Old 08-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

I've not tryed my dashound for squirrels but i love to watch her chase rabbits in owr yard then watch her back track to where they first took off then follow the trail to where it went under or polebarn.Oh and buy the way her name is STAR and shes 5 years old .