Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Wire haird daushund

Old 07-13-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Wire haird daushund

I hope some one can help I am looking for a wire haird daushund to use for deer recovery Thanks.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:17 PM

Default RE: Wire haird daushund

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Here are two web sites to people who breed quality hunting WHD
http://www.born-to-track.com/
http://www.geocities.com/az1f/1.html?989889391530

I know there are a few more breeders that have good dogs they just do not have web sites.

You can also go to United blood trackers or deer search to get more information.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Here is one more place. He sometimes has used his WHD for stud. So you might see if he knows of someone.
http://www.illinoistracker.com/index.html
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/

I bought my Wired Haired Dachshund from Andy Bensing and his dogs were descendant from John Jeanenneys dogsl, the writer of Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer.

Here's my Axel von der Pfauenbrucke.

He finished 5th here out of 38 Dachshunds at a show.

Here's My Axel being Shown (Video-click me)

Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just wondering---how much do pups sell for??
Thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love doxies, I have 4 myself. I have one who would probly track, she goes after deer and squirrels int he yard all the time. Ive heard the WHD are the best for tracking (not just in the dachshund line, but all around). Love them black and tanks rob, good looking dog for what i can see of him. Only thing is ive never seen a wirehairded around here, or heard of one.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's some info that I hope helps. The Teckel folks have done a great service to the Dachshund breed by keeping the original intent of this breed alive and well. No thanks to AKC !! I'd love to have one of these Teckel pups ... but so far I have either run into abrick wall or the cost is simply out of my league.

I have used Dachsunds for over 30 years to blood trail. All of my dogs have been and are smooth hair, plain ol' "house pets". One was a free-bee. None cost me over $250. I did zero training to any of these 4 other than take them with me to the woods and put them on blood trail after blood trail. Red Man was my first, and he was great. He lasted 11 years.Dinky learned form him more or less and was still trailing at age 14.Both have been gone a long time after long, happy lives, I hope.

My "name" here is Mojotex ... Mojo is my young tracker weenie dog at age 3 , and Tex is the old man at age 13. Both are excellent trackers. By the way, TREEDOG, Tex is a superb treerer of squirels. If I were you I'd give that dog of yours a chance this winter.

It took these 4 dogs no more than maybe 4-5 trails toget the hang of it. Of the 4 , Tex has been the quickest to get the idea.Took Tex a whopping 2 trails. The first trail he paid absolutely no attention to until he came upon the dead buck. Then he tore into the bullet hole and the "other hole". Mojo got the hang of it after about 5 rather obvious and simple trail jobs. Last season he solo trackeda poorly hit, monster buck that one of our club's senior members (84 year old) hit on a food plot late in the day.Deer went nearly 3/4 mile before dying ina creek. The trail was about 17 hours old when I got Mojoon it. Tex became a legend when he trail a totally gut shot buck that the inexpereinced, youth shooter had pushedhard for about 1 hour before dark:30 set in. We startedat about 7:00 p.m. Tex found the deer at aboutmid night. It was blowing sleet and about 30F all evening long.The track was at least 1 1/2 mile long. The deer crossed the same creek 3 times and a narrow "swamp" once. Tex eiither swam the creeks or had to be carried across where it was too swift and deep for him to safely cross.He and Mojo found 6 last year, of which 3 would probably never have been found.

I say that, of course in part to brag on my dogs, but more so to say that you can come across a great trackerwithout the need to go to a high dollar, Teckel breeder.But if you find a breederthat haswire hair pups from tracking stock for sale that are not already "cash deposited" for the next hump-teen years or will not require a second mortgage on my house, let me know !!! I'm in the market.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Mojo- I also have a red smooth haired dashound she love to go after rabbits in the yard ,I'll tell you sometime it hard to get off the rabbits trail sometime she just doesn't want to give up but it's still fun to watch her track.She is 5 years old and her name is STAR.