Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Squirrel Dogs...

Old 06-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Squirrel Dogs...

Just wondered if anyone had asquirrel dog and how you went about training it.

Years ago I found a dog, a blue heeler in deep woods. It was in the woods on several different occasions when I would go deer hunting in the bitter cold.

Finally, I took the dog home and soon realized this dog had a knack for squirrel huntin'... I noticed the dog liked to eat acorns. He would chew them until they cracked then he would extract the soft part with his paw or mouth.

I had a yard full of squirrels and he would try and run up the tree with them. If, and I use the word "if" lightly, if the squirrel would run up the tree,he would keep circling the tree until he seen them again.

This dog would grab the squrrel and bring it back to me, a lot of times still alive. Her first and only litter produced three great squirreldogs and two rabbit dogs...

Miss the ole girl! Holly was her name.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Default RE: Squirrel Dogs...

I have two squirrel dogs in the making. They are Mountain Curs. This breed has been bredintensely for treeing small and some large game. They are one of the favorites for squirrels and coon hunters who want a good handling dog. This is a pic of my male Rem treeing a squirrel at our cabin in the woods. It is a wild squirrel that happened to end up in the cabin yard because the mulberries were ready for eatin', I guess. The next pic is of my young female who is about a year old. She treed her first not too long ago and is now discovering her instinct to tree. This is in the yard as well, but I can hopefully post some more as this season progresses and they finish out on squirrel.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:02 PM

Photo II of my gyp pup

Old 06-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

They sure look aggressive. What is a mountain cur derived from?
Great photo's...
Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 PM

I got 2 females and 1 male Treeing Feist pup's up for sale...There out of Lost Creek Tiny Bit and Widener's Cody...Pups are now 6 weeks old and will be old enough to leave their momma in another 2 weeks..
Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds interesting... Do you have any photo's?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:01 PM

Back two are the females and the one in the front is the male..

Old 07-09-2006, 06:48 AM

right now he's standing guard which he just did naturally.Same goes for squirrels,I walk him in city parks (full of squirrels) the chattering is all it took.He's nuts for them,watching up in the trees for them if none on on the ground.
Him being 90lbs of rottie & Vally bull terror,when on leash he's pulled me down some scary hills in the pursuit of these pesty buggers,( I've learned to let go now).
Old 07-27-2006, 02:02 AM

I have had OMC's for a while now....nothing like them. Loyal, Strong, Smart and Gamey as all get out.
I just sold a good finished male and am training a female pup daughter of his. I raised both parents of this pup, now it's her turn. She treed the other day with our big old walker male and I really think her machine gun chop hurt the ol boys ears.

They are awesome, and to answer your question about where they were derived...the orig. mt. cur is the original american dog. They have been traced back to the indian and has been said to have given the plott hound it's brindle color. The cur blood is strong as many other breeds have been introduced and they retain the usual features...except color variances. Some breeders say it takes 3 off line breedings to begin to get rid of the cur look. Ours are from one of the oldest documented pure strains. I love them curs!!!