Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

dogfood price-OMG

Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dogfood price-OMG

ORIGINAL: bryant1
If he is like me it is not cost feasible to feed 6 dogs with 50 dollar a bag dog food. And not worth it either IMO
Which is cheaper -- A premium food that is $1.00 a pound and you only feed 1/2 lb a day

or

A food that is $0.50 a pound and you feed 1 pound a day?

Wy\ith the premium food, you are getting better nutrition and half the poop to clean up -------- for the same per-day cost.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:53 AM

I'm not sure about everywhere else but here in Missouri. I feed and recommend Blackgold the black bag and I only pay $18 for a 50lb bag. For the cost, you can't bet Blackgold. I have feed everything from pro-plan to iams to eukanuba and even pro pac (which a friend is a distributor), and hands down Blackgold is very comparable to Pro-Plan. I run and train gsp, english pointers, setters, and labs. They all work great on the Blackgold, and to top it all off it's so much cheaper on cost and still produces like the best of them. Whether we talk about we talk about energy, stamina, or overall coat quality Blackgold stands at the top for me. Just like your premium dog food good consumption of food and low stool volume, and just top off the cake at 36 cents per pound who can beat that cost if you buy that by the bag. But I always buy mine by the ton thats 40 bags at about $16 a bag which is like 32 cents per pound. I know that the price is different everywhere you go, you have to remember that it cost more to ship it out of state and Blackgold is made here in Missouri so it's cheaper here.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 PM

my dog food is way higher

Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 AM

i am feeding hi-pro $30/40# bagmix with 20%fat omega 6 an omega 3 33%protein an vitamin E off season i drop it back to 10%fat an 20%protein
this mix is made my buddy is feeding a mix of 40p/5.01om/1.01om the cost rounds off after supplment about $37 a bag

this may seem hi to some but i am feeding less food getting more performance an better health
Old 03-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BKL Gundogs

I'm not sure about everywhere else but here in Missouri. I feed and recommend Blackgold the black bag and I only pay $18 for a 50lb bag. For the cost, you can't bet Blackgold. I have feed everything from pro-plan to iams to eukanuba and even pro pac (which a friend is a distributor), and hands down Blackgold is very comparable to Pro-Plan. I run and train gsp, english pointers, setters, and labs. They all work great on the Blackgold, and to top it all off it's so much cheaper on cost and still produces like the best of them. Whether we talk about we talk about energy, stamina, or overall coat quality Blackgold stands at the top for me. Just like your premium dog food good consumption of food and low stool volume, and just top off the cake at 36 cents per pound who can beat that cost if you buy that by the bag. But I always buy mine by the ton thats 40 bags at about $16 a bag which is like 32 cents per pound. I know that the price is different everywhere you go, you have to remember that it cost more to ship it out of state and Blackgold is made here in Missouri so it's cheaper here.
I use to feed blackgold too and i was impressed by it. You mentioned about blackgold being made near you- thats the same reason i switched from Blackgold to Sir johns, I can get Sir Johns (made in Alabama) for about $17.00(perbag)a ton compared to $21.00 (per bag) a ton. I chalked it up to shipping prices(gas). Sir Johns is almost the same dogfood as blackgold too, both are great dogfoods for sporting dogs.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Dad's dog food, $16 per a 30 lbs bag here.

Alpo - $14 a bag - per 35 lbs.

My motto is to buy local.

The Local Comet Market always has damaged dog food bags at about $4.00 less per a bag.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed Rifleman.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Doc E

ORIGINAL: bryant1
If he is like me it is not cost feasible to feed 6 dogs with 50 dollar a bag dog food. And not worth it either IMO
Which is cheaper -- A premium food that is $1.00 a pound and you only feed 1/2 lb a day

or

A food that is $0.50 a pound and you feed 1 pound a day?

Wy\ith the premium food, you are getting better nutrition and half the poop to clean up -------- for the same per-day cost.

Not to mention the savings on vet bills, and the benefits ofhaving a dog that is fitter and more resilient. Human athletes can't live off junk food, so why should a canine athlete be able to? If i've spent hours training and bonding with my dogs, I want them to live as long and healthy a life as possible. And like Doc said,who'd want to be measuring out 40+ cups of fooda day forfive dogs, and scooping enough poop for 10. All we'd ever be doing is driving to the feedstore andheftingbags around. While we pay $35 for40lbs of dog food, and $42 for 35lbs of puppy food, one sack of adult food lasts our four bigdogsthree weeks, and the puppy's lasts almost six weeks. If you're feeding a smaller volume, you are also decreasing your dog's chances of suffering bloat as the stomach will not be nearly as full.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:36 PM

I agree. The cost is off set by the health benefits. It is all still to expensive but then so is everything else. Do ya think twice about buying the best food for yourself that youcan afford? If you are hunting the dogs they need to eat for preformance.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Brandon Farms. All natural, no soy, no corn, no wheat. $25 for 16lbs bag on sale. Still have 1/2 bag of pro-plan which my doesn't like.

http://www.brandonfarmspetfoods.com/products/organics.php

Quick Reply: dogfood price-OMG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.