Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Good puppy training books??? >

Good puppy training books???

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Good puppy training books???

Old 01-18-2002, 10:44 PM

Default Good puppy training books???

I have a baby ridgeback coming home and I need to train it...

I have already bid on one breed specific training book and a book on how to train your dog to be a tracker.

Does anyone know a good obedience training book to get?

Thanks a lot

Evan
Old 01-19-2002, 01:08 AM

Default RE: Good puppy training books???

EvBouret, I used to have 2 Rhodesian ridgebacks when I was younger. You need to realize that the breed of dog you chose is a "sighthound" not a tracking a dog even though there is a little bit of bloodhound in the ridgebacks. There are people in Australia who hunt boars and small deer with ridgebacks but always use a hound or some type of bird dog in the pack to do the tracking and of course use the ridgebacks for final chase, baying or take down. But using ridgebacks for tracking cougars is a different story.
Old 01-19-2002, 01:11 AM

Default RE: Good puppy training books???

EvBouret, I used to have 2 Rhodesian ridgebacks when I was younger. You need to realize that the breed of dog you chose is a "sighthound" not a tracking breed even though there is a little bit of bloodhound in the ridgebacks. There are people in Australia who hunt boars and small deer with ridgebacks but always use a hound or some type of bird dog in the pack to do the tracking and of course use the ridgebacks for final chase, baying or take down. But using ridgebacks for tracking cougars is a different story.