Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Basic Lab help

Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Basic Lab help

i dont like ENGLISH lab for hunting, only american lab.
english is stockier build,american is LONG LEGGED and usually smaller.

sounds like good housedogs.

look at those labs ,then look at wetland-retriever pictures.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i dont like ENGLISH lab for hunting, only american lab.
english is stockier build,american is LONG LEGGED and usually smaller.

sounds like good housedogs.

look at those labs ,then look at wetland-retriever pictures.
Im about like you, i really like the look of the wetland retreivers. I think as a first time trainer i really dont need to put abunch of money in to a lab. im not looking to breed or do any masters stuff.
Im looking to spend around 500-800 on a good allround dog that will do the hunting i need but also be social.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

there you go, stick with AMERICAN LAB.
long legged,skinny waist,no boxy head.

another thing, you are not going to find a good lab for under 700,i believe.
if labs are raised for hunting, they will hunt.
if breeder does not hunt or raise labs from hunting stock, you will get a HOUSE dog.
go cheap, i will gaurantee that you will be at vets and spending well over the 700 dollars, in health problems.

do a GOOGLE search of HEALTH PROBLEMS IN LABRADORS,this will open your eyes.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

there you go, stick with AMERICAN LAB.
long legged,skinny waist,no boxy head.

another thing, you are not going to find a good lab for under 700,i believe.
if labs are raised for hunting, they will hunt.
if breeder does not hunt or raise labs from hunting stock, you will get a HOUSE dog.
go cheap, i will gaurantee that you will be at vets and spending well over the 700 dollars, in health problems.

do a GOOGLE search of HEALTH PROBLEMS IN LABRADORS,this will open your eyes.
Im deff. aware of the health problems so i am looking into clear bloodlines but im also seeing breeders with clear lines selling hunting dogs for under 700 but im willing to spend 800 on a good dog, i just wasnt prepared to start at $1500.

I keep searching for breeders in NC and im not seeing any that impress me. Im seeing alot of house dogs or just two dog opperations.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 PM

You probably wont like this very much powerstrokin...
I remember how badly I wanted to get a hunting dog when I was young.

But maybe you should wait a couple of years atleast until you are out of school and perhaps on your own and well established. The reason I say this is because dogs are a big responsibility and can be VERY costly.

I think you should focus on getting through this short phase of your life (college) first, then get yourself a good lab from a breeder, and be willing to spend LOTS ofMONEY and TIME!!! Training a lab right is essential, if you dont do it the right ways, you will ruin your dog... Ive seen it too many times. If you get stuck, you should get professional help. Dont try to FORCE the training on the dog, you may need to take a short break in training altogether.

My advice to you would be to just wait, there will still be labs in a few years... To me it seems like you are kinda trying to rush this process a little bit, DONT! Take your time, be patient. A lab is a hyper active dog for the first 2 years for sure. Chewing everything. Be ready to buy 3 or 4 of anything he might have access to, it will be chewed. I know people who are in their 40's that cant and shouldnt try to get a hunting dog...

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Be patient, especially with training.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

fodlt,you are right.
my hunting lab was so bad at age 1,i had to get him nuetered.my breeder when nutty on me for doing it.
he never CHEWED anything but would go hunting females with passion.
he would BITE,still does.
lift his hair, not as much now.
i cant have him around kids or adults he does not know or he could bite .

you have to exercise a hunting dog, house lab, no..
funny he cant find breeder in his state, pa is full of them.

so, yes, its hard raising a dog today where we do not tie them to dog house anymore.

last night my lab tried to kick me out of my bed,he found out who was DOMANIANT..ha
Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: EODLT

You probably wont like this very much powerstrokin...
I remember how badly I wanted to get a hunting dog when I was young.

But maybe you should wait a couple of years atleast until you are out of school and perhaps on your own and well established. The reason I say this is because dogs are a big responsibility and can be VERY costly.

I think you should focus on getting through this short phase of your life (college) first, then get yourself a good lab from a breeder, and be willing to spend LOTS ofMONEY and TIME!!! Training a lab right is essential, if you dont do it the right ways, you will ruin your dog... Ive seen it too many times. If you get stuck, you should get professional help. Dont try to FORCE the training on the dog, you may need to take a short break in training altogether.

My advice to you would be to just wait, there will still be labs in a few years... To me it seems like you are kinda trying to rush this process a little bit, DONT! Take your time, be patient. A lab is a hyper active dog for the first 2 years for sure. Chewing everything. Be ready to buy 3 or 4 of anything he might have access to, it will be chewed. I know people who are in their 40's that cant and shouldnt try to get a hunting dog...

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Be patient, especially with training.
Thank you for that, you all have been very helpful. Im a little diff than alot of college guys. I work full time for a lake mang. company while going to school full time, I live at home and i go out but i dont do heavy partying and drinking. I want to put my time into a dog it will take alot of patience and ill learn alot for sure. But if i wait before i know ill be married , kids and all that and i really wont have time to train.

I have actually already put a deposit on a litter and will be picking up a puppy end of january. Thank you all so much for all the valuable information!

-T
Old 11-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Well I for one wish you much success and the best of luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

you next step will be WHICH PUP TO PICK.
if i had to do it over, i would not pick a pup up at age 7 weeks,if you can see if they can hold your puupy at least 8 weeks before you pick it up.
more time with mom is plus i feel.

let us know and we may offer ideas on which one to pick and male/female...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Typical Buck

Is there someone at home that can help you with training? Going to school and working fulltime can be a challenge itself. I did the same thing. I basically put myself through college without any student loans and you're gonna really have to budget your time especially when multiple assignments are due or finals week. A typical night would be staying up till 3am or so then waking up for work.

Expect to spend a minimum 2 hours a day walking/running, playing, training your dog.

It will be real tight. To suceed in a typical college course, you need to spend 3 hours studying for every class hour each week. For fulltime status in a quarter system, 15 credit hours comes to 45 study hours or 8.5 hours a day.

You are looking at 18 hours a day. Ofcourse, noone really puts in 3 hours per 1 class hour but there will be times when this is going to be a reality.

Quick Reply: Basic Lab help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.