Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Basic Lab help

Old 11-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Basic Lab help

ORIGINAL: 20 slugs

I,ve got a good lab but when you say $200.00 a year in medical well I,ve dished out up to $1200 for stuff you don,t expect to happen . You play it safe with your dog but anything can happen.I also have a jackrusselxbeagle and she has cost me less then then the lab in vet bills. She hunt,s and work,s harder then the lab figure that one out good luck with your lab.

one of the best hunting dogs i ever had was mix long legged beagle.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: powerstrokin247

I have finally convinced my folks to let me get a lab. Ive got a couple questions for you lab guys before i start my journey.

Mainly finacial stuff, im in college but live at home:
How much do you all spend a month on food, heartworm, other medical stuff?

Im just trying to get a ballpark on what to expect each month

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Thomas
make sure you get pup that is from parents with good hips,eyes etc.
usually good breeders will have that checked and pups cost about 700/1000.
dont get a backyard breeder pup or pup from friend.
its roll of dice.
hip operations can cost 2000 or more.
i use advantix 9 for ticks, runs 65 dollars per 6 months.

if you dont have time to excersise dog DAILY,dont get one.

here is site that has info you are looking for in dog.
www.wetland-retrievers.com
here is another i highly rec for info,she is best on labs.
www.woodhavenlabs.com
Thanks abunch for the info. Was planning on getting one from a buddy, hes got a super smart well mannered dog and the female was beautiful and well taken care of, but i dont know about hips and eyes. He was going to give it to me also so that was insentive,but..

now that im debating buying one i will deff be looking for good pedigree's.

I would like to find a local breeder here in NC if possible, thanks abunch for the input!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have finally convinced my folks to let me get a lab. Ive got a couple questions for you lab guys before i start my journey.

Mainly finacial stuff, im in college but live at home:
How much do you all spend a month on food, heartworm, other medical stuff?

Im just trying to get a ballpark on what to expect each month

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Thomas
make sure you get pup that is from parents with good hips,eyes etc.
usually good breeders will have that checked and pups cost about 700/1000.
dont get a backyard breeder pup or pup from friend.
its roll of dice.
hip operations can cost 2000 or more.
i use advantix 9 for ticks, runs 65 dollars per 6 months.

if you dont have time to excersise dog DAILY,dont get one.

here is site that has info you are looking for in dog.
www.wetland-retrievers.com
here is another i highly rec for info,she is best on labs.
www.woodhavenlabs.com
Thanks abunch for the info. Was planning on getting one from a buddy, hes got a super smart well mannered dog and the female was beautiful and well taken care of, but i dont know about hips and eyes. He was going to give it to me also so that was insentive,but..

now that im debating buying one i will deff be looking for good pedigree's.

I would like to find a local breeder here in NC if possible, thanks abunch for the input!

listen toole sproule,DONTget dog from them even tho they were taken well care of etc.

your vet bills will cost you way more over time than buying a great dog from good breeder that had things checked out.

labs are known for hips, elbows, eyes, allergies.
a hip operation could cost you 2,000 or more.
google search your state, nc has a lot of great breeders .labs here go for 750/1000,thats cheap if you get a healthy dog.

here is site in your area.
www.gundogbreeder.com/breeders-north-carolina/
Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 AM

ok ok, yall have convinced me ill go with a breeder. Thank yall so much for the help and the information, i have learned so much already!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 PM

The pedigree has alot to do with it. I have 2 labs. I have a chocolate and a yellow.. Both males. The chocolate is an excellent hunter. he has a great nose and doesnt quit. His grandfather was the first chocolate lab to with the national field trials and his father was classified master hunter. I never did any of that with him but it made him one hell of a hunting dog. My yellow is a house dog. He is a lab in name only. He doesnt get the retriever part one bit. He is as dumb as a brick but he is loveable and great around my 7 month old. as far as vet bills as someone stated before you never know what you get. My chocolate has allergy problems and it costs me 400 a year in allergy shots and it was 2 grand to get all that figured out. That started out of the blue when he was 6.5 years old and he is almost 8 now. I agree with the 30 a month figure for dogfood and the heartworm crap is like 80 a year. I dont agree that you need a shock or training collar. Read Gun Dog by richard Wolters and use his techniques. I agree females are easier to train.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

My pup is 5 months old now, we have already spent close to a 1,000 on medical bills, food is approx 30.00 a month, heartworm will be approx 45.00 for 6 months supply, and flea and tick, approx same price. But my pups medicals were due to areaI live and him licking, picking up everything around. My two previous Labs were approx 100.00 for 6 months supply of heart worm, 40.00 a month for food and their yearly shots veried.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cessna Flyer

My pup is 5 months old now, we have already spent close to a 1,000 on medical bills, food is approx 30.00 a month, heartworm will be approx 45.00 for 6 months supply, and flea and tick, approx same price. But my pups medicals were due to areaI live and him licking, picking up everything around. My two previous Labs were approx 100.00 for 6 months supply of heart worm, 40.00 a month for food and their yearly shots veried.
lot for pup .
i order my advantix 9 on internet.
2 of us order same time each year,free shipping and cost is 20 dollars cheaper than vet.
i only put it on my hunting dog in oct here in pa as i start hunting grouse.
i stop it in dec,IF COLD.
so, i get 2 years out of 6 in box at around 40 dollars..
heart worm pill, INTERCEPTOR.i give him it starting in june/to nov as this is the months the mosquitos are out here in pa..

i use CANADAE dog food, its 32 dollars for 40 pds.
i get around 3 months out of bag.
teeth cleaned ,he is 5 years old now.
that was 119 dollars.
if you feed your lab dry food without water, you can go 8 years on cleaning.
checked up yearly and LYME SHOTis around 80 dollars at vet.
thats about it.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:53 AM

1,000 already for a 5 month pup? What kind of medical bills did you have? Did you get it from a breeder?

Stuff like this makes me timmid of getting a dog, i mean if i had to drop that much money i could, BUT being 20 in college at home it would deff. set me back a bit.

How common is this, and by getting it from a good breeder are my chances of lower med. problems much better?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

1,000 already for a 5 month pup? What kind of medical bills did you have? Did you get it from a breeder?

Stuff like this makes me timmid of getting a dog, i mean if i had to drop that much money i could, BUT being 20 in college at home it would deff. set me back a bit.

How common is this, and by getting it from a good breeder are my chances of lower med. problems much better?

that is real high on vet bills,maybe he was sick.

forgot to tell you, my lab got into a porcupine,that cost me 300.
i sat down and figured my lab cost me over 5 years about 2,000 dollars, thats food, vet, accidents,training toys,kennel,dog house. he cost me 400 also,so thats around 2500 for 5years.
now, good lab from breeder is 800.

here is my friends site,he has quality labs.

www.wetland-retrievers.comif you look at lab with pheasant in his mouth, i had him picked as pup but picked another that i liked also.
looks like he is doing fine in field...........
Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 AM

that is real high on vet bills,maybe he was sick.

forgot to tell you, my lab got into a porcupine,that cost me 300.
i sat down and figured my lab cost me over 5 years about 2,000 dollars, thats food, vet, accidents,training toys,kennel,dog house. he cost me 400 also,so thats around 2500 for 5years.
now, good lab from breeder is 800.

here is my friends site,he has quality labs.

www.wetland-retrievers.comif you look at lab with pheasant in his mouth, i had him picked as pup but picked another that i liked also.
looks like he is doing fine in field...........

I was looking at a breeder in Va. Deep run, they have Hero.
They seem to take great care of thier puppies and would make a great litter but those puppies are $1500! That was kind of a shock to me, are they worth it? Thats alot of money for a first time trainer to put into a dog. What do you guys think?

http://www.deeprunretrievers.com/puppies.shtml

Quick Reply: Basic Lab help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.