Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Irish Setters

Old 08-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Irish Setters

Depends on what you want as, mine will go big if I allow them. In most cases here I will keep them close as the woods I hunt them in is thick. At times I will take tham out on a pipeline here and just let them go. Then they are running out ahead around 200 to 300 hundred yards. When hunting in thick cover they are near 35 to 50 yards ahead. They appear to know the difference on what I want them to do. Occasionally I will let them run out around a100 yards ahead in this thick stuff if I am having trouble locating birds.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Depends on what you want as, mine will go big if I allow them. In most cases here I will keep them close as the woods I hunt them in is thick. At times I will take tham out on a pipeline here and just let them go. Then they are running out ahead around 200 to 300 hundred yards. When hunting in thick cover they are near 35 to 50 yards ahead. They appear to know the difference on what I want them to do. Occasionally I will let them run out around a100 yards ahead in this thick stuff if I am having trouble locating birds.
phil, sadly here in pa if your dog is out 100 yds or more, he will get shot for coyote..
my lab was only about 40 yards out in front of me in thick clearcuts,usually i want him about 20 to 30 yards in front of me..

grouse ran so he went on trail and i stood still..

i heard truck come up road next to me and BANG..

boy, was my heart pumping, i ran to truck and he floored gas and left..

my dog was alright..
grouse hunters are shooting out windows at grouse,deer, turkeys COYOTES..

that was close one..i even have a 3 inch bright flouresnt collar on my lab butthey dont look...

sad what is happening on stateforestland now....
Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

phil, sadly here in pa if your dog is out 100 yds or more, he will get shot for coyote..
I would be more affraid that they may think it is a deer with their color.

that was close one..i even have a 3 inch bright flouresnt collar on my lab butthey dont look...
I am using a 2 inch wide day-glow collar with a bell I put on it for them. I want to protect my hunting dogs and also like hereing the bells. The bells let me know exactly where they are at all times.

grouse hunters are shooting out windows at grouse,deer, turkeys COYOTES..
They do the same thing up here, day or night unless they get caught and some have been caught...

Old 08-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

i may try my bell on collar this year even tho he is close,maybe these nuts will hear the bell and think before they shoot.

i never saw such people as i am seeing today in woods,i even leave a sign on truck,DOG HUNTING NOW IN THIS AREA......

they just dont look and want to kill something..
i drive around the area before i hunt to see if anyone is there hunting, if so, i leave now and go elsewhere....

i may even go to a florescent vest for my dog....
Old 08-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Typical Buck

I used a bell in the first two seasons. It kept falling off as she would go into thick brush. Sometimes she amazed even me, slipping thru such stuff which looked like a cantalope wouldn't fit. Anyway, I keep going to store to buy another bell for her. I finally got disgusted and gave up.

Sproulman, if you're having trouble with other hunters, I would try the vest. (And perhaps some inflatable balloons tied to her collar, you know those cellophane ones? )
Old 08-22-2007, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used a bell in the first two seasons. It kept falling off as she would go into thick brush. Sometimes she amazed even me, slipping thru such stuff which looked like a cantalope wouldn't fit. Anyway, I keep going to store to buy another bell for her. I finally got disgusted and gave up.
I have had the same problem so I riveted them to the collars. I put a different bell on both the collars so I could tell which dog was which when they ran through that thick stuff. No problems with the bells breaking off yet.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Such beautiful dogs... We ended up adopting one from an attorney neighbor who had gotten custody of his in the divorce. He joked around saying "I didn't even want visitation...." I was so mad. "Darby" ended up being a good dog. We hunted him some at my grandpa's farm but he mostly ended up as a porch ornament in the middle of our farm... I'd give anything to have a photo of him. He was a good dog.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mite

Sproulman, if you're having trouble with other hunters, I would try the vest. (And perhaps some inflatable balloons tied to her collar, you know those cellophane ones? )
my lab is BLACK .
coyotes here in pa are usaually silver or blonde..
BLACK coyote is real prize..

so, my lab could be shot, has been shot at only once by road hunter,druggies road hunting..

what i have been doing lately is riding around to make sure no one is hunting turkeys,if so, i leave..

i think a bell on him would help or beeper that would beep ,i am looking at that now but will try bell..

its ROAD HUNTERS ,so far, they are bad ones, they dont look ,just shoot out window..
Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

WellI have had my second litter born this am whileI was at work. The first litter was 2 1/2 years ago, this is the last litter for this pair and most appear to have been taken after dad with blocky looking heads.I know thatI will not have a problem selling these ones, and out of my last litter they went from here to PA and have been hunting well for them. A couple of folks were in last week and couldn't believe how well they listen to me( mom and dad )when I had let them out of the kennel for about an hour..
Old 10-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

real nice,phil..
i dont see any irish setters anywhere,they should go fast..
boy, they have nose and look real good hunting..
i actually like them as much as the LEWELIIN SETTER...