Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

English Setters

Old 12-07-2006, 08:59 PM

Default English Setters

Has anyone owned an English Setter?? How was it?? I realize all dogs are different but I am looking for a family dog first as well as a good dog for bird hunting. I have springers right now and I am tickled to death w/them but I need a pointer to go w/my flushers
Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 PM

Default RE: English Setters

i would love to have an english setter as well.. i think they r really cool looking dogs.. but i have never actually been around one.. so im not sure how they are as family pets..
Old 12-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

English Setters aren't just good housepets "for bird dogs", they are among the finest family dogs of any breed.

I've owned many and they've all been terrific...let the baby drag 'em around by the ears, lay on your lap sort of dogs.

And you would be hard-pressed to find a better, classier hunting dog than a well-bred English Setter.

Here's one of my males:

Here's one of my females:

And one oftheir pups:

Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 PM

ohhh...I just bought one this year, she is four months old and she has the most charater of any dog I have ever owned. A real sense of humor, very different from my labs (of which I own five) I can't wait to hunt with her next season.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Setters can be very active high strung dogs or very calm. It depends upon the breeding. But most have a personality.

Are you going to run both springers and setters together? I would be hesitant to do so as flushers can make a pointer learn bad habits that are hard to break. Specifically, steadying point. If the setter goes on point, a flush will hijack the point. The setter will see this as competition until it will think to bump birds is okay.

Seattlesetters,
I was wondering about if you had a litter perhaps a year or two ago. The last pup in the litter went to a non-hunting family because no one wanted it. I recent saw the dog at the dog park and talked with owners. That dog can run. Very stylish point. They said the dog was the best hunter out of the litter and I don't doubt them.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mite
Seattlesetters,
I was wondering about if you had a litter perhaps a year or two ago. The last pup in the litter went to a non-hunting family because no one wanted it. I recent saw the dog at the dog park and talked with owners. That dog can run. Very stylish point. They said the dog was the best hunter out of the litter and I don't doubt them.
Mite - I'm not sure if that was one of our pups...very few go to non-hunters.

But I am curious as to why a non-hunting family would describe their pup as "the best hunter out of the litter." Seems a bit strange to me.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:58 AM
Typical Buck

The breeder said the pup was the best hunter out of the bunch and noone wanted it so it went to a non-hunting family. Its a shame. While watching thedog run in Marymoore dog park, she was running from fence line to fence line stopping every so often to catch scent. No other dog could catch her.She would have made a good field trail dog. I would have loved to see the dog professionally evalutated and let loose in open country.

Also, I don't know if this concerns you but Keith Hickem often visits http://forums.delphiforums.com/ourllewellins. He's all setup in Texas.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 AM

My pup is from the "Tekoa Mountain Sunrise" line as well. She is gorgeous and the birdest dog I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Seattle, when the time comes I would like to talk with you about breeding. I am trainer and labradorbreeder but I am so smitten with this little dog I can see myself becoming a convert to setters. I don't know much about their lines and would love some coaching in this area. Are you running your dogs in field trials? if so where?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was close to getting a pup, english setter from LYNNHILL setters here in pa..

i am stuck on my labs..if i get chance to hunt under a pointing lab, that may be my next one instead of english setter..

i cant handle 2 dogs at same time and dont want to be tied down..mine is almost 4 now, when he gets 9 years old, i amd getting pup for grouse/pheasants..

pointing lab/setter,time will tell which one but the PL has me looking..
Old 12-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Typical Buck

Teoka Mtn Sunrise is 11x grand national champion. The kennel where Teoka came from still exist in Oregon.

Quick Reply: English Setters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.