Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Irish Setters:Are  they any good? >

Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Old 11-01-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Irish Setters:Are they any good?

I have done a lot of studying on hunting dogs:reading books, talking to hunters, being a member at a local hunting dog club,... But I have not seen or even heard much about Irish Setters.They are beautiful dogs and call me a crazy but if I am going to have a dog, it is important for him to be an eye catcher, on the fild, on the beach or in the street. Irish Setters seem to serve all purposes.But I just havnt seen or heard of any hunter owning one. Are theyextinct as real field dogs? Or else?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Default RE: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Hey Sean, WhatI have come across is, the actual irish setter, is more show than go. Now there are few breeders that are making some awsome gun dogs with the Red Setters. Charlie turner, Hard Times kennel Berea Ky, Tim Hammons, Silvercreek Red Setters Berea Ky, and Stan Zandewicks Zan Sett Kennel Muskego Wis. These are some Red Setters that I have personnally worked with, nice dogs very biddable. Biggest thing ya here is " how will I see in timber " 2in. blaze orange collar, spending time with dog and learning it. Very workable breed. temper reminds you of regular setter, classy run, high tail, loving atmosphere. Any dog --- you get out what you put in. Later Jonesy
Old 11-01-2005, 07:08 PM

Have hunted Pheasants and guided Pheasant hunters for a good number of years. One of the best dogs I ever had was Gypsy, an Irish Setter / Lab cross. Wow. What a nose, a great retriver, and my my my, what a hunting spirit. She's been gone 20 years, but your question brought back some good memories. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

Hey Sean, WhatI have come across is, the actual irish setter, is more show than go. Now there are few breeders that are making some awsome gun dogs with the Red Setters. Charlie turner, Hard Times kennel Berea Ky, Tim Hammons, Silvercreek Red Setters Berea Ky, and Stan Zandewicks Zan Sett Kennel Muskego Wis. These are some Red Setters that I have personnally worked with, nice dogs very biddable. Jonesy
100% right on the money.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:49 PM

Another good looking dog is the Red and White setter, also Irish, apparently still a hunting breed.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

An article in Time Magazine a few years back on pure breed dogs and the AKC listed the Irish Setter as the greatest tragedy of the "breeding to standards" mentality. They claimed that breading for physical standards had turned a great and capable hunting do into the biggest idiot of the dog world. I haven't seen an Irish in 10+ years the few I've met couldn't remember where their water dish was not to mention simple commands.

This is based on very limited experience, but just my 2 cents.

Spud
Old 11-26-2005, 11:29 PM

Ken Ruff in Ill has some very nice Irish (not Red Setters). These dogs seem to have some get up and go and he has been very successful and one heck of a nice guy!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: spuddog

An article in Time Magazine a few years back on pure breed dogs and the AKC listed the Irish Setter as the greatest tragedy of the "breeding to standards" mentality.

This is based on very limited experience, but just my 2 cents.

Spud
I think that could be a silly claim when you look at labradors and other popular breeds. I would venture to guess that if labradors were bred as good as they are often, you would not have to look so hard or pay so much for the good ones. Hip displasia, no hunt and other problems show up in them as well as any breed that is bred often. You have to get good breeders with a good history of health and hunt, and then fork over a grand to get a good one, sounds like. Now, I am not just picking on labs, but I am just saying this in defense of the Irish Setter, which probably isn't bred on near as wide a scale as the labrador and other popular breeds. Any breed that has a common fault in the breed as a whole has been "tragically" bred. That is why a good lab costs money and a good hound costs money and so on.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:38 PM

Where the trajedy was is the crossing of show dogs into gun dogs. The show ring is sooooooo different than hunting. the upbringing ofa show dog, compared to a bird dog, is like two different signals, in the dogs mind. You stop and think about it, when have you ever seen a show dog at a akc hunt test, a that even got its tail up, or b, that looked like it was excited about finding a bird. Honestly, I have seen it in labs also, the cross is just not right, its like putting cadilac interior in a pinto, or a volkswagon, it is just not right, and they will argue, mostly women, or the men that dont' stand up for what they feel. You get a chance to go to a nbha walking trial, then go to a akc hunt test. you watch the show dogs in the akc test, and you see what makes you stand there and go " boy I like that dog" I will be suprized if its the show dog. No offense to the show people, totally my opinion, I just feel there is no need in mixing the races. My opinion, thanks Jonesy
Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Mike,

I think we are agreeing. What the article was saying is that overbreeding and breeding for looks, coat, conformation etc had diminished the original characteristics that were so desirable. Other examples are the Labs you mentioned and Standard Poodles that were origninally a retriever. In the case of the Irish setter the article argued that this had greatly diminished the overall intelligence of the breed. I think Irish setters were fairly popular in the 60's and 70's as pets because of their beautiful coats.

I agree that you need to be careful selecting a hunting dog and make sure that you look for the characteristics you want. Paying top $$ increases your chances of getting what you want.

By the way, I found the website of a guy in Texas who breeds Std Poodles for waterfowl. There are still a few that have the drive. I also know a guy who swears that his German Sheppard is the best retriever he's ever had and will beat any lab he's seen.

It's an uncertain world.

Quick Reply: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.