Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

training a squirrel pup

Old 06-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default training a squirrel pup

ok all you experts my son got me a new pup to hunt with its a cross with fiest and mountian cur. i haveread a lot of stories about how to train a new pup. i have trained a lot of deer and hog dogs but never a squirrel dog any help would be nice. the parents of the dog are very good squirrel dogs i have hunted with the owner a couple of times.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Spike

Default RE: training a squirrel pup

I train my Feist pups much the same as I train a Beagle pup. First thing is train it to come when called. Then at around 4 months old when it can get around in the woods a bit, start taking it out where there are lots of squirrels. Walk slow or stand around and let the pup explore and nose about. Breeding will take over and the pup will start hunting and finding them.
You have hunted with the breeder before, so every once ina while get the pup out with his experienced dogs. Much like you would run a hound pup with a pack of older dogs every now and then.
Curs & Feist cast out and hunt much like coon hounds, but they are virtually silent on track. My Feist only bark on the tree.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

thanks. i have heard also that some like to use squirrel tails to get them to track but some hunters say this is not a good way if you start to read about training these dogs it does get confuseing. its still to young to take in the woods but i can't wait to start training it
Old 07-01-2007, 04:25 AM

Go to squirrel dog central web site.... sqdog.com. You will find more info there than you can ever use. Tell them Dryridge sent ya. I used to raise Mt Curs.

There is a guy on there named bobcobla. He is Chuck Loudin from Mountain State Kennels. He and son Adam are EXCELLENT trainers. Matter of fact, Adam will train your young dog if you wish, but advice will be free and very good for the price...LOL!

You can also contact Mary at Castlehillcurs.com They are excellent and now have mylast good male in their Kennel. Razor is his name.

There are LOTS of fiest guys on that site too. The best of the best is there. You WILL find some help but a word of caution...this stuff gets addicting. I am kinda glad I was cured by my poor health when my son went off to school, it is some powerful stuff. Makes you spend all your time an money pursuing it.....like a drug, I am warning you, get out now before it's too late....

Seriously though go to sqdog.com and get with those guys then go to the woods for walks with your pup, the rest is up to the dog. Just be sure to socialize said puppy and add obedience training. Then you and your pup will spend many a great day in the sq. woods. It is a fun leisure activity, good exercise and again, it gets addicting.

ENJOY,

Dave
Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

thanks i think that it is one of the only sites i haven't checked i have hunted a couple of times with dogs for squirrels and i know what you mean about addicting. i have a 12 yr old son who likes it also
Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 PM

My best advice after three or so years of it is to hunt as often as you can, but only in woods that are thick with squirrels. Even if you can get out for 15-20 minutes, do it. Keep your dog squirrel and tree-minded. Some people say don't show them caged game, and I agree for the most part, but I also am beginning to think there area few crucial points at which it will do no harm but rather will do a lot of good. Also, a good thing that I am going to remember about these dogs is that your dog is different than my dog and anybody elses. I have decided that squirrel dogs need to be trained one dog at a time and not necessarily in the same way you train another squirrel dog. There's perhaps not a formula that works on every dog. They are incredibly unique, and you are asking them to do something incredibly difficult and strange--to pinpoint the location of a small animal in a specific tree, even though the squirrels can tap several trees and move about quite a bit before landing a tree. However, they are bred for it andcan figure it out. Brains and hunt are key. I have decided this take a dog of uncanny brains and ability. Squirrel dog puppies seem to sell for lower prices, but a good finished dog is of great value. Have fun with your pup and good luck!