HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - training a squirrel pup
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
SWOSUMike

Default RE: training a squirrel pup

My best advice after three or so years of it is to hunt as often as you can, but only in woods that are thick with squirrels. Even if you can get out for 15-20 minutes, do it. Keep your dog squirrel and tree-minded. Some people say don't show them caged game, and I agree for the most part, but I also am beginning to think there area few crucial points at which it will do no harm but rather will do a lot of good. Also, a good thing that I am going to remember about these dogs is that your dog is different than my dog and anybody elses. I have decided that squirrel dogs need to be trained one dog at a time and not necessarily in the same way you train another squirrel dog. There's perhaps not a formula that works on every dog. They are incredibly unique, and you are asking them to do something incredibly difficult and strange--to pinpoint the location of a small animal in a specific tree, even though the squirrels can tap several trees and move about quite a bit before landing a tree. However, they are bred for it andcan figure it out. Brains and hunt are key. I have decided this take a dog of uncanny brains and ability. Squirrel dog puppies seem to sell for lower prices, but a good finished dog is of great value. Have fun with your pup and good luck!