Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Choices...Choices

Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Spike

Default RE: Choices...Choices

Go with another Lab. I hunt grouse, woodcock, pheasant & waterfowl with mine.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing wrong with a lab if the lab fits your needs. I have a friend that uses springers on his pheasant farm as well as hunting grouse and woodcock with them. I would have to say it depends on your hunting needs and how you would react if the new lab doesn't respond like the older one did.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Well, if you like the way both breeds hunt and there aren't any other criteria to eliminate one breed or the other, then why don't you look at both breeds and focus on finding the "right" dog, meaning personality, drive, etc. It seems to be hard enough to find the right dog and by being able to choose from two breeds would seem to increase your chances.

Spud
Old 06-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ought_Six

I am considering a new dog. My lab has recently gone on to his reward after 15 years of faithful service. I am considering a new pal and wondering if I should stick with a Lab or try a Springer. I hunt upland in Pennsylvania....meaning Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock, and Pheasant would be my prey.

Any advice?
i also hunt everything here in pa..sooooooooo,i like SMALL LAB..

but the better dog is the LEWELLIN SETTER..

the all around dog is SMALL LAB..

soooooooooooooooooooooo,if you are not interested in killing every grouse you find, lab is your dog,if you are real killer, get LEWELLIN SETTER..

biggest thing i see with lab on grouse they tire out and seem to run by grouse more than other dogs,like springer and setter..

soooooooooo,setter=grouse
lab =all around everything dog,rabbits, squirreals, raccoons,fox, coyotes,pheasants,ducks,grouse,groundhogs,bobcats, snakes,toads, moles..
when your in mountains hunting grouse, dog i want with me is LAB..they just seem to hunt out about 20 yds from you, not afraid of anything,wind,rain, snow,bugs,brush,water..just are tough dog..
but not best GROUSE HUNTER..