Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Kennels

Old 11-13-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Kennels

For all of you that have a outdoor kennel what size is it and what do you use for flooring? I was thinking of using concrete or patio brick but I am thinking it will be to hard and cause him calluses. Any opinions or tips for a new kennel owner.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:05 PM

Default RE: Kennels

Hi. I have two 10 ft. x 10 ft. kennels that are connected with a door. I usually keep one dog in each but often open the door so they can go between the two kennels and play if they want. The benefit is I can separate them them when I want or lock them off while I clean one side.

I think you will hear that, if you have the money, a sealed concrete floor is about the best you can do, especially if you pour it ona slight slant so you can just hose it off. Even better if you make one of those plastic barrel septic tanks to run everything too.

I have also heard that the blocks will work, but I can see urine seeping down between the cracks and everything else. You could seal the cracks with quick crete, but then Iwould put a seal over the whole thing again so that the concrete doesn't absorb stink smell.

I personally use grass, which turns to dirt in just a matter of a few months, but when I have a more permanent place I will probably pour a concrete pad.

Might also try horse stall mats or concrete milling conveyor belts.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:51 PM

Yes I'd agree if it is permanent concrete, do 6 inches on the sides, 12in at least in front, 12 in in the back, do a 1 in slope from front to back, if your drain will be in back. Don'tworry about caluses, they keep your dogs feet from hurting when you go to field. Cool thanks, Jonesy
Old 11-13-2005, 08:34 PM

The caluses I am worried about are on the elbows which he used to get when laid on the concrete porch, also I think the patio brick or pavers will be cheaper than the concrete but the concrete would probably be better.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:10 PM

It would take quite a long time for those to start, but i do understand. The bricks and pavers will stay level for while, but water will eventually start spreading apart, an unleveling, which makes hard for scooping to work easily. Its your call, but honestly if its gonna be perm. can't beat the price. Thanks Jonesy
Old 11-13-2005, 11:05 PM

If you add it up, I am not sure if you'll save as much on the pavers. I think they are anywhere from 79 cents to over a buck.