Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

R all GSP's ADHD?

Old 01-22-2007, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default R all GSP's ADHD?

I'd like to ask you guys that have German Shorthairs if this breed is typically hyperactive? I bought a young male and he is absolutely spastic! I don't know if it's just him or if it is the breed in general. It's bad enough that I have begun to wonder if something is mentally wrong with my goofy buddy!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:27 AM

Default RE: R all GSP's ADHD?

I have hunted GSP's for many years and I do not think they are overly hyper. Do you ever let him out to run and play?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

That's what I was afraid I'd hear!!Yes, I let him out to run and play. The only time he's penned is when I have to leave for work or go somewhere he can't go.

Dang! There's no danger me getting rid of him now. I don't think anyone would tolerate him like I do, he's my bud! Even though there's times I could pinch his head off! LOL!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Exercise ! Exercise! and no they don't have ADD......They have drive........Mine lives in the house....sleeps on her bed everynight but will hunt 6-8 hours a day........Chase the ball for the kids until she falls over.....He is just a pup he will level out ....but again Exercise! Exercise!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't go as far to say that they are all high strung. The white GSP that I used to have was very energetic and what I would call border line high strung. I say border line high strung b/c I've seen GSP's that were constantly spastic....around humans, wiggling around, always jumping up and down and against the pen. My white GSP was always 'energetic' b/c he always wanted to be out hunting....but he wasn't a nut case. When he was younger he was pace around his pen all day.....and I ran him and trained him every day. I think his energy was mostly due to his bloodlines. But when I let him intothe house he would be pretty calm and lay in the bean bag chair. However, the black GSP would prefer to lounge on the couch all day. About the only time he gets excited is when he sees the guns or hears his dog bell when I'm getting ready for a trip to the field. In all honesty, I can't say I've ever seen a GSP as calm and/or lazy as this black one.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Well, your description of your white GSP sounds like my bud, so, maybe he ain't mental. As goofy as he acts sometimes, he surprises me how smart he is and how good his sense of smell is!

One of his behaviors that drives me nuts is that he wants to jump up on people. I've tried everything to keep him down. You can't even love on him without him swiping a paw across your face or leaving muddy paw prints all over your clothes! Any suggestions!??
Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine is very active as well. In the house she is one of the laziest dogs I have ever seen though. I have heard from many people that it takes a few years for them to settle down some. Mine is 2-1/2 and is getting better, my wife actually loves her now. She used to hate her becuase she was always on the go.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:39 PM

ares r really hiper we let them out to run behind the truck for about 2 miles before we hunt then