Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Senate Bill 850 Defeated >

Senate Bill 850 Defeated

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Senate Bill 850 Defeated

Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Senate Bill 850 Defeated

Senate Bill 850, which would allow hunters to hunt on Sundays in VA was defeated today. It seems even the VDGIF is in favor of Sunday hunting, according to the Roanoke Times.

Senator Marsden and Senator Petersen were the only two Senators in favor of it.

Senators Ticer, Whipple, Hanger, Watkins, Reynolds, Puckett, Ruff, Blevins, Obenshain, McDougle, McEachin, Northam, Stuart all voted against.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...01V0052+SB0850

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/275553

Last edited by VAhuntr; 01-31-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Spike

It is unfortunate that I live in a state with such archaic laws. There are 6 states that do not allow Sunday hunting and Virginia is one of them. Make sure to write letters expressing your displeasure to the Senators that voted No. I will never vote for a single one of them.

I will also never support the VAHDA and anything they represent. They have a large voice in Richmond and have done a lot of damage repressing Virginia hunting rights on this issue.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Eyedr
It is unfortunate that I live in a state with such archaic laws. There are 6 states that do not allow Sunday hunting and Virginia is one of them. Make sure to write letters expressing your displeasure to the Senators that voted No. I will never vote for a single one of them.

I will also never support the VAHDA and anything they represent. They have a large voice in Richmond and have done a lot of damage repressing Virginia hunting rights on this issue.
Already emailed my Senator.

For anyone who lives in the 20th Senate District, Senator Roscoe Reynolds voted "nay".
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I'm disappointed to hear this, I think the majority of guys I hunt with, and several guys that don't hunt, but allow me to hunt on their land are going to be glad about this. I've been surprised how many hunters, and a couple of land owners that like hunters, but don't have time to hunt, I've talked to that are against this.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
While I'm disappointed to hear this, I think the majority of guys I hunt with, and several guys that don't hunt, but allow me to hunt on their land are going to be glad about this. I've been surprised how many hunters, and a couple of land owners that like hunters, but don't have time to hunt, I've talked to that are against this.

I can't understand why a hunter would be against having the choice to hunt on Sundays. Seems to me like some people are being pretty selfish!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Oh well, judging by the number of no-voters, it looks like we will have an uphill climb for years to come. I don't get it, they've been hunting on Sundays out west forever and now mostly every state is on board with it. I just don't get it. The religion thing and the day of rest thing is played out. I'm sure the state can use all the revenue they can get. Especially when they steal money from the the Dept of Natural Resources and give it to some other agency 'more in need". Hunters produce more revenue for DNR than almost any other Dept. The state needs to get over it and pass it.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I can't understand why a hunter would be against having the choice to hunt on Sundays. Seems to me like some people are being pretty selfish!
Well, I understand why they are telling me they don't want it, but I don't agree with it. Several of them are very religious and want to spend Sunday morning at Church. They seem to think that people will go hunting instead of to Church. My theory is that if they would rather hunt than go to Church, that's probably what they are going to do.

They also seem to believe that Sunday is a day of rest, and don't have any desire to hunt, nor do they have an desire for anyone else to be hunting on their land. They other 6 days of the week they are all for hunting, and allow any of us that want to hunt on their land hunt.

I don't really agree with it, and I'd like to see hunting on Sunday allowed, but I've really been surprised by how many people that aren't anti hunting that have told me they don't want to see it passed.

So not only is this a fight against anti hunters, but you are also in a fight against other hunters too.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 01-31-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Well, I understand why they are telling me they don't want it, but I don't agree with it. Several of them are very religious and want to spend Sunday morning at Church. They seem to think that people will go hunting instead of to Church. My theory is that if they would rather hunt than go to Church, that's probably what they are going to do.
I would go to church in the morning and hunt in the afternoon.

They also seem to believe that Sunday is a day of rest, and don't have any desire to hunt, nor do they have an desire for anyone else to be hunting on their land. They other 6 days of the week they are all for hunting, and allow any of us that want to hunt on their land hunt.
How many people truly follow the day of rest on Sunday? Why can't they just tell you, NO hunting on my land on Sunday? After all it is their land.

I don't really agree with it, and I'd like to see hunting on Sunday allowed, but I've really been surprised by how many people that aren't anti hunting that have told me they don't want to see it passed.
As I have said many times, I don't see why a hunter wants to deny another hunter the CHOICE to hunt on Sunday. Seems greedy and selfish to me.

So not only is this a fight against anti hunters, but you are also in a fight against other hunters too.
I would much rather see a hunter shooting a deer on Sunday then see some of these localities that hire sharpshooters to keep the herd in check.
My responses in red. I was glad to hear that the VDGIF spoke in favor of it in front of the committee.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

What a shame, I guess I will be getting screwed again next year for hunting time. It sucks that one of your days off is Sunday and the other isn't Saturday. I guess I will be buying my meat at the grocery store again next year. Maybe that will "stimulate" the economy?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
My responses in red. I was glad to hear that the VDGIF spoke in favor of it in front of the committee.

And also.....

-What if you or your relatives are the landowners?

- Over 75% of people in VA no longer consider Sunday a day of rest. Just look at the crowds in Wally World and the malls on Sundays....... A day of rest, right?

We can go back and forth on the Sunday hunting all day long.

I can put holes in every theory or argument.

Utah, probably the most religious state in the nation............... allows hunting on Sunday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.