Senate Bill 850 Defeated >

Senate Bill 850 Defeated

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Senate Bill 850 Defeated

Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
Petitions have been done, signed, sealed, and delivered numerous times over the years. A petition goes nowhere and actually gets laughed at, in a court of law.

I think a good way to get them, is to hit them right in the wallet. The state needs money? The DGIF needs money? Awwww, too bad... Give me Sunday hunting (even archery only on private land - i.e. like North Carolina) and I'll continue to hunt. No Sunday hunting? See ya... I'll quit hunting and/or go out of state.

Will never get enough people to quit hunting in this state to accomplish that. I know I will not quit hunting for that reason. I will keep voicing my opinion and let my view on this matter be heard, as I'm sure you will too.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

I fully intend to only buy my general deer permit this year. No archery, no Muzzleloader and no fishing license. They are going to raise the rates on us this year but they will lose money from my pocket. I feel it is time to vote with the wallet. I can still get the venison I like by just hunting during general season and will let them try to figure out how to make up the difference. I figure I will save close to $60.00 and can us it to pay for gas.

How many seasons do you think it would take if all hunters bought less permits but were still able to get venison? Would the VDGIF say the next deer harvest was still lower due to weather? I do not think so. I will do what I am doing and all others will have to make their own choices BUT something needs to break or we will lose more land, pay more and have less hunters in the woods. Kind of what the anti hunting groups want anyway.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
I fully intend to only buy my general deer permit this year. No archery, no Muzzleloader and no fishing license. They are going to raise the rates on us this year but they will lose money from my pocket. I feel it is time to vote with the wallet. I can still get the venison I like by just hunting during general season and will let them try to figure out how to make up the difference. I figure I will save close to $60.00 and can us it to pay for gas.

How many seasons do you think it would take if all hunters bought less permits but were still able to get venison? Would the VDGIF say the next deer harvest was still lower due to weather? I do not think so. I will do what I am doing and all others will have to make their own choices BUT something needs to break or we will lose more land, pay more and have less hunters in the woods. Kind of what the anti hunting groups want anyway.

I enjoy deer hunting too much to give up archery and muzzleloading.

What you have to understand is Sunday hunting is not a VDGIF issue. It is a legislative issue for the General Assembly. The VDGIF can't make this change without the General Assembly. Until a majorty of hunters unite, this law will never change.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Agreed with what you say but until they hurt in the pocket books they will not be MOTIVATED to push for the change. Saying they do not make the change is right. BUT they do have influence over the people that can make the change.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Agreed with what you say but until they hurt in the pocket books they will not be MOTIVATED to push for the change. Saying they do not make the change is right. BUT they do have influence over the people that can make the change.

The problem lies in the fact that we hunters are split on this issue. There are still a lot of hunters who do not want Sunday hunting....many of them have nothing to do with dog hunting. I live east of the Blue Ridge but west of the "dog line." It is about a 50-50 split here.

What I find disturbing is the fact that we have a Republican Governor, who is willing to sign into law some form of Sunday hunting, but yet the only two Senators who voted in favor of this bill were Democrats.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder if one strong Sunday pro-hunting county could get the entire county licensed as a hunting preserve?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I wonder if one strong Sunday pro-hunting county could get the entire county licensed as a hunting preserve?

Interesting idea there Timber! I feel like the state will eventually legalize some form of Sunday hunting.....I just may be too old to care about hunting by then.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know what you all are saying and I agree. The GA controls the laws regarding Sunday hunting, not the DGIF.

Not to highjack this thread, but (in my opinion) let's take a look at the pros/cons of two different states, roughly +/- 400 miles apart. Both states have pretty much equal deer harvest figures, one has Sunday hunting, the other not.

NEW YORK
2009 total deer harvest: 222,798
No deer hounds.
Sunday hunting.
Divided up into a Northern Zone / Southern Zone type of thing.
Non Resident big game license: $140.00 (tags included).
Pros/Cons
Expensive, not including cost of gas.
Looooong a$$ drive (9-10 hours depending on traffic).
Free place to stay (sister & bro-in-law's 125 acre farm).
Private 125 acre farm (Nobody hunts it but me & my bro-in-law).
The deer are freakin' everywhere!
No deer hounds.
Sunday hunting!

VIRGINIA
2009 total deer harvest: 256,512
Deer hounds (east of Blue Ridge and assorted counties)
No Sunday hunting.
Divided up into a East of Blue Ridge / West of Blue Ridge type of thing.
Resident license: $18.50
Big game license: $18.50
TOTAL: $37.00 (cheapest cost - tags included).
Pros/Cons
Cheap cost as a resident to hunt, compared to other states.
Local metro area WMA's are a freakin' joke.
GWNF is beautiful, quiet, and holds some monsters if you know where to find them.
State forests are great too and hold some huge deer.
Deer hounds are almost everywhere.
No Sunday hunting.

Anyway, I agree with the others.... Eventually, Virginia will allow Sunday hunting, but whenever that is, Lord only knows. I just hope we all see it in our lifetime. I have a weird feeling that Virginia will turn into an "island" regarding Sunday hunting and realize that NC, MD, WV, KY, will all have Sunday hunting in some form or another. Then hunters will FINALLY get together and agree, and work together to get Virginia on board and into the 21st century.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
The problem lies in the fact that we hunters are split on this issue. There are still a lot of hunters who do not want Sunday hunting....many of them have nothing to do with dog hunting. I live east of the Blue Ridge but west of the "dog line." It is about a 50-50 split here.

What I find disturbing is the fact that we have a Republican Governor, who is willing to sign into law some form of Sunday hunting, but yet the only two Senators who voted in favor of this bill were Democrats.
I really believe there are more hunters that are for Sunday hunting then hunters that are against it.........The problem is that the hunters that don`t want it are better organized and have pull with the politicians who pass the laws.

And i can`t believe that the only ones to vote YES for Sunday Hunting were Democrats... That was a BIG SURPRISE....

We`ll get it someday.......We just gotta stick together and keep at it.......
Old 03-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brewman555
I really believe there are more hunters that are for Sunday hunting then hunters that are against it.........The problem is that the hunters that don`t want it are better organized and have pull with the politicians who pass the laws.

And i can`t believe that the only ones to vote YES for Sunday Hunting were Democrats... That was a BIG SURPRISE....

We`ll get it someday.......We just gotta stick together and keep at it.......
I agree with you 100%. We need to be organizing for next years General Assembly session now!