Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia dog hunters opposing Sunday hunting - write them an email! >

Virginia dog hunters opposing Sunday hunting - write them an email!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia dog hunters opposing Sunday hunting - write them an email!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Virginia dog hunters opposing Sunday hunting - write them an email!

This has already been posted, as many of you will realize. However, I want to bring some more attention to this.

Here are these people's email addresses:

[email protected]

[email protected]

And here is their statement saying how they want to force their religious practices on others:

http://vahda.org/PDFs/SundayHuntingPositionPaper.pdf

This personally really ticks me off. Deer hunting with dogs frequently results in hunters driving on and trampling all over other people's land, and driving deer off other people's land. Not to mention having to listen to their howling dogs all the dang time. Now, I used to be of the mind that all hunters should stick together, but this is the last straw with dog hunters. These guys think they have the right to trample all over my land Monday through Saturday to "recover their dogs," and then prevent me from hunting on my own private land on Sunday!!

I work Monday through Friday, from day break to back break, and I would really enjoy having an extra day of hunting if thats how I choose to spend my weekend. This pisses me off to no end to have a group of hunters opposing my ability to use my own land as I see fit. From now on, I am actively and vocally opposing deer hunting with dogs.

Write these guys an email and let them know if you agree.

Bird hunters, I have no qualms with your dogs.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hard to believe that the dog hunting associations would be opposed to Sunday hunting. The practice of dog hunting has a lot more problems than the right of Sunday hunting. I would organize an anti dog hunting effort just for the heck of it. Getting a Sunday hunting on private land referendum might be the best bet . You would think all hunters would support each other .
Old 02-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Hard to believe that the dog hunting associations would be opposed to Sunday hunting. The practice of dog hunting has a lot more problems than the right of Sunday hunting. I would organize an anti dog hunting effort just for the heck of it. Getting a Sunday hunting on private land referendum might be the best bet . You would think all hunters would support each other .

You would think so but their are the (as I call them antis because if you try to impose your way of hunting as the right way) on both sides of the fence. Some dog hunters dont want sunday hunting and some still hunters dont want it. I personally do. Lets just not start another thread where HUNTERS start bashing each other again. We have heard all the terrible stories from both sides ....You know his dog ran across my hunt or I caught this guy up in my stand blah, blah, blah. The only way to get it done is to stick together. I know some still and some dog hunters minds wont be changed, but lets not start the Bull s*** again. And its always the same few......lets work together on this one guys and gals.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

is dog training allowed on sundays?
that might be why they oppose sunday hunting,

i brought up similar sunday hunting issue on a PA forum,
was surprised how many actually opposed sunday hunting,
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guys, I'm trying to be good... I'm trying to stay out of this one...

I don't know why the VaHDA opposes Sunday hunting. But, ...whatever.

I have never hunted deer with a dog and don't want to. It's just not my style. If others want to hunt deer with dogs, that's cool. Have a great time. I don't have a problem with it. You all can hunt over here (east of the Blue Ridge), and I'll go hunt over there (west of the Blue Ridge). That way we won't bump into one another or mess up one another's hunt.

The only time I hunt with a dog is when I bring my 3yr old female beagle/shepherd/"...mutt" mix with me and we go rabbit hunting and squirrel hunting. I can see the benefits of hunting with a dog and think it's great, but, just not with deer hunting. I like hunting deer where it's just me and the deer alone on the deer's home turf, where it become a game of one-on-one, and who can outsmart who.

{puts on a kevlar vest, and takes cover in a bunker}
I guess one of the reasons most of the deer dog hunters don't want Sunday hunting is, they need Sunday to go back and retrieve their dogs, that are still out in the woods or are lost on someone's land. They don't want to bump into other hunters in the woods while they are trying to retrieve their dogs. There... I said it.
{peeks out from bunker, making sure the coast is clear}
Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA

{puts on a kevlar vest, and takes cover in a bunker}
I guess one of the reasons most of the deer dog hunters don't want Sunday hunting is, they need Sunday to go back and retrieve their dogs, that are still out in the woods or are lost on someone's land. They don't want to bump into other hunters in the woods while they are trying to retrieve their dogs. There... I said it.
{peeks out from bunker, making sure the coast is clear}
EXACTLY ....... It`s not about religion.....The dog hunters that don`t want Sunday hunting don`t want it because Sunday is the day they round up the dogs they couldn`t find on saturday......So NO ONE hunts because of them........

Well said Butch A
Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a 2 page letter from my state senator a little over a week ago explaining the reason for his "no" vote on SB850.

He said when he left the morning before the vote, he had only been contacted by 30 of his constituents....26 of the 30 were not in favor of Sunday hunting. After the vote, he came back to find he had received more communication on the issue. The final tally was 33 against and 15 for it.

We need a better organized effort and it needs to begin sooner than 2 or 3 weeks before it will be voted on. However, I do see a couple of positives this year. The VDGIF and the NRA did speak in favor of hunting on Sundays.

I wonder if there are some other state or national groups we could get involved on this issue for next year?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec

i brought up similar sunday hunting issue on a PA forum,
was surprised how many actually opposed sunday hunting,
After talking to some guys I hunt with, I've too found that I'm surprised with the number of guys that oppose it.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
After talking to some guys I hunt with, I've too found that I'm surprised with the number of guys that oppose it.
Probably most of these people have a situation in which they can hunt during the week.

If you hunt less than 30 minutes from your home, you can hunt monday through friday. I drive about 75 minutes each way to hunt, and it would take me over 2 hours to drive from my hunting lease to my office, so I am pretty much limited to Saturdays.

Basically this limits me to 6 days of rifle hunting per year, and 6 days of bow hunting. And thats if I go every single weekend. I travel out of town for Thanksgiving and Christmas, which means I have no more than 10 days of deer hunting each year.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
Probably most of these people have a situation in which they can hunt during the week.

If you hunt less than 30 minutes from your home, you can hunt monday through friday. I drive about 75 minutes each way to hunt, and it would take me over 2 hours to drive from my hunting lease to my office, so I am pretty much limited to Saturdays.

Basically this limits me to 6 days of rifle hunting per year, and 6 days of bow hunting. And thats if I go every single weekend. I travel out of town for Thanksgiving and Christmas, which means I have no more than 10 days of deer hunting each year.
You bring up an excellent point. The few that I know who are opposed to Sunday hunting can hunt anytime they want. It is almost as if they are trying to limit competition from other hunters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.