Ar hunters, did ya' ll know you can bait turkeys >

Ar hunters, did ya' ll know you can bait turkeys

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Ar hunters, did ya' ll know you can bait turkeys

Old 04-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ar hunters, did ya' ll know you can bait turkeys

year round? even durin turkey season. game warden Bill Brown told me this face to face a few days before season opened up. as long as you don' t hunt over the bait. but here' s the tricky part. when I asked him how far I had to be from the bait, he said there was no set distance. he said it was the warden' s call as to if you were to close to the bait.
I' ve never baited turkeys, but I' m thinkin I' ll start now. I' ll set feeders out in the middle of clear-cuts, so I want get caught huntin to close to the baited area.
this will hold turkeys in our lease, just like baitin deer will hold deer in your area.
the way he talked, before it' s over, we' ll be allowed to hunt over bait just like some people hunt deer over bait.
I don' t hunt deer over bait(just my personal preference) and I won' t hunt turkeys over bait either, but baiting will at least hold em in the area.
what do ya' ll think about baiting turkeys, for the purpose of holdin them in close?
and are ya' ll goin to start baitin even durin season? I am!
Old 04-25-2003, 04:15 PM

Default RE: Ar hunters, did ya' ll know you can bait turkeys

Nope ..cause like he said it was the wardens call.....10 feet? 100 yards?200 yards???...Heck for that matter it could be clear across a 1000 acres and its still his call.....Dont want a warden making that decission for me.....The warden I talked to said you were better off not having any feed out for anything during turkey season...Cause they will get ya....Good luck to ya...
Old 04-26-2003, 01:28 PM

Fla. law says within 100 yards.anything over that is OK in the eye of the law.if that your cup of tea.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know im not from Ar but close enough, in Oklahoma its 100 yards from a bait pile. I see nothing wrong wtih putting some feed out for the birds to hold them on your land. U better take some pics to share wtih us bogobble
Old 04-30-2003, 04:01 PM
New Sheriff

Been baiting for a couple of years now, just general food plots and feeders for both deer and turkey. We don' t hunt the food plots or the feeders.....EVER! Let me tell ya it doesn' t make the hunting any easier but you do see alot more game.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

it doesn' t make the hunting any easier but you do see alot more game.
that' s the reason I' m goin to start baitin. to see more game. the last 2 or 3 years we hadn' t had the # of turkeys on our lease than we use to. I think baitin will bring, and hold more birds on our lease.

OV, he didn' t see no twinkle in my eye. I told him I didn' t bait deer or turkeys.[8D]