Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Two hunters 4 turkeys bow >

Two hunters 4 turkeys bow

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Two hunters 4 turkeys bow

Old 01-30-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Two hunters 4 turkeys bow

Was watching the outdoor channel today and these two guys were hunting some were in Texas (need I say more).. Anyhow this gobbler comes in and this guy wacks him then the gobbler that was with him goes over to peck at his lifeless body then he gets wacked. Then another walks over to investigate then he gets wacked then another for a grand total of 4 longbeards with a bow within 2 minutes. And there were more gobblers in the back ground still coming in when the (hunters) got out of there blind to go get there (WILD ) turkeys. Every gobbler I have ever killed was on public land and s!@# like that just doesent happen!!! I think that If turkey hunting was like that I would stop turkey hunting. I'm sure after I have killed lots of those easy tame birds I would get bored with it...
Old 01-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Two hunters 4 turkeys bow

My brother just called me and told me about this hunt. He told me "you are not gonna belive it"!

Every gobbler I have ever killed was on public land and s!@# like that just doesent happen!!!
...I'll jump in and 2nd that!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt a club that has idiot for members and you run into the same thing!!![:@]Any land that gets hammered be it public OR private makes for much tougher huntin!!It does sicken me how TV makes everything so easy!!I just love it when they show some reknown host shoot 3 times at a gobbler and watch him run off knowing full well he put some shot in him!!Sure makes light of what we all strive for here and in my mind shows no justice for a terrific game bird!!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

Well said BG2. The last 4 years it has taken me 15+ days of hunting for every gobber I've arrowed. I've got nonturkey hunters saying "do you know what you're doing, it sure doesn't look that hard on tv?" If some people only knew what it truly takes to put your tag on a 'educated' turkey[:@].....wouldn't trade it for the world though!
Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys everyone misses the point , its not that these birds are tame, and if you have not hunted Texas sitting back home and watching TV to see this sort of Practice does make one wonder as too where and what kind of birds these TV hunters are hunting. But Texas has a population of bird larger then any State in the US. These ranches that these birds are hunted and Videoed are loaded with birds. It not that they are tame birds , its because of the Management in Texas on some of these large Ranches that produce the Volume of birds that live on the land. Some Parts of Texas allow a 4 bird limit in one day, so this is just what this sort of hunter has done.

This is why most video done is taken in the state of Texas because of the population, and it cuts down the Hours that is put into the shows that you watch. To down grade these hunters is not right , because of how things are in this state.

Most of us don't have the money to hunt these Ranches , but the producers spend the bucks because in the end they will get it back in viewers of the programs. Some of these ranches like the Ford Ranch is so big that one can get Lost driving a truck on them, I've seen it myself. The birds are free rangeing birds and come an go as they Please , just the numbers are so High that it is not impossible to have 30 birds come into you in any one setup.

I hear this Public land crap all the time and Mr Longbeard tends to like and announce that this is all he hunts. I can understand that some people don't have private land to hunt on , but making a effert to fined Private land is another feat that everyone should do. I spend Countless hours knocking on doors to find these such places and when I exsplain of a hunt , I get slapped in the Face because I'm not hunting Public land all the time. Well to tell you the truth , I hunt Public land and do often and am darn well successfull at it. Do we have hunters here on private land , YES big time and matter of fact on a very large scale higher then the US.
because of the population of hunters over the size of the public land there is to hunt. Other then the state of Florida on management Units , the Public land in and across the other US states are a breeze to hunt over what we have in Ontario. In all the travelling I have done across the US Ontario has the toughest birds to hunt...BT
Old 02-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have not seen the video or hunted in Texas. I have hunted "wild" turkeys in Ohio and I have called in three gobblers, shot one with a shotgun and then watched the other two stomp the dead one and even try to breed him for 10 minutes until I stood up and they took off. If we did not have a one bird per day limit I could have easily shot two if not three mature gobblers.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good reply Adrian!!I agree, no one should neccessarily downgrade these hunters but my point is when I watch a show or video that shows a fella shoot 3 times at a running gobbler hitting not only him but other birds around him(hens included its not worth watching to me!And yes I've seen a # of them that do!!I've also had the opportunity to hunt Texas and no question it has places full of lonely gobblin birds!In my mind a turkey hunters dream,and nobody should hold any grudges against those that hunt and find such places, more power to em.In fact if you can afford it I'd say give it a try!
Adrian I've hunted turks for awhile in my home state and no question private land holds the premium huntin here!Obviousily its not that way all across the country but it is slowly becoming that way everywhere!Most of our land is leased to private groups and huntin clubs locking the potential hunter out!So consider yourself somewhat lucky!I spend a hefty chunk of change just to be able to hunt property that is only 10 miles from my house and than buy into a club on top of that!!Pay to play is becoming the majority,just look at Texas!!!We have leases here and I know for fact other states do also offer these same type of non hunted birds,it just costs money and time!And if I had it I'd do it more!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob , Your right , your discription is the sad part of the sport and you are right , its working the same all across the counrty and even here in the same terms. I wasn't out to bash or take any shots at anyone , just mearly set a point of opinion about the true reason hunters alike watch these type show and gather the proper understanding without being mislead on by stories that you and I know that wrong.

Most of us will never see a day when Gobblers get that populated that we can pick and choose what we want to kill...BT