Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Camping In South Carolina...? >

Camping In South Carolina...?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Camping In South Carolina...?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 PM

Default Camping In South Carolina...?

New guy here. I know this is a hunting forum more than a camping forum but I also know hunters know this stuff so I hope you will indulge me.

Long story short I want to start an annual camping trip for me and my friends so we don't lose contact since many of us live in different states and SC is pretty centrally located.

Now I want this to be a REAL camping trip like I used to take as a kid with my Dad. We used to go hike the Rockies and find a spot and set up a camp. I don't want water and electrical hookups, don't want tent pads or and man made camp ground amenities. I would love to camp Paris Mountain but it seems it is nothing but that kind of stuff. I don't want to have to pay an admission to climb a mountain, pitch a tent, make a fire and enjoy being away from it all.

Does that still even exist?

By the way I consider my friends and I to be novice campers. But if I can do it as a kid with my Dad, I'm sure I can figure it out. Ideally we'd be looking at a 2-4 hour climb to some kind of clearing with a spectacular view.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Camping In South Carolina...?

Not a whole lot of opportunities here as most of the state is privately owned but one suggestion might be to lookat the area above Lake Jocassee. It's a big tract ofmountains and I think they allow backpack camping. Youprobably can find some info on the State Parks website.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, go up near the triple point where NC, SC and GA meet. There are lots of waterfalls you can hike to. King Creek Falls has some primitive campsites along a creek that you will probably like. The hike isn't that far, but there are other waterfalls a short drive a way that make for good hiking. Isaqueena Falls is a nice place where you can actually climb up and down the falls. I'll try to find some pictures.

Here's King Creek Falls:

This was 2summers ago. There was a good bit of water considering there was a drought. The temp was in the mid 70's but the water was about 50. There's mica in the cliff and in the sand at the bottom. You can wade into the pool and when you walk out your legs are covered with glitter.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

This is Isaqueena Falls. If you walk around to the overlook, you'll see a dirt path that goes down the hill. Climb down there to reach the lower falls. My wife and two of our kids are in this picture. Can you find them?