South Carolina

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

South Carolina

Old 03-26-2008, 05:43 AM
Spike

Default South Carolina

Hello everyone!
I currently live in the state of Pennsylvania and absolutly love the sports of hunting and fishing. I am relocating for a position at the local hospital in Columbia South Carolina and I am absolutly both excited and nervous about the transition. I love bass fishing so I know that the move will be better on that aspect ,but I am learry about the hunting oppertunities provided there. I know they have a longer hunting season and wild hog hunting, but what about available lands to hunt within the region?what about safety and of course the snakes? I hope someone could give me some insight and encouragement on hunting in South Carolina because I know it will be different than what I have been used to here in Pennsylvania. I hope it will be better butIneed to learn more about the land availability to hunt and how the locals do there hunting. I searched for sportmans clubs and shooting clubs to join, but have found none in the region. I hope someone here can help point me in the right direction so I can take full enjoyment of relocating to Coulumbia South Carolina. It is hard to believe that I canot find a rifle range, sportsmans club or archery range within the region of Columbia. A state with the longest hunting season I think there should be something in the nature of sporting shoots such as sporting clays, archery shoots or pistol and rifle shooting clubs around. Well, I assumed that Hunting net should be the place to inquire and hopefully get an insight on relocating and enjoying the outdoors there.
Mike
Old 04-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Default RE: South Carolina

Mike,
Don't worry, there will be plenty of opportunities to hunt here. I've lived in Charleston all my life and can honestly say that there's no where I'd rather be. I hunt the Lowcountry, but I know there's plenty of public and private land to hunt in the midlands. Two websites for you to check out:
www.dnr.sc.gov/

www.scducks.com

Contrary to what the name implies, it's a local forum that covers all aspects of fishing and hunting. Just a warning though, there are some pretty colorful folks on there and the conversations aren't exactly PC.

Good luck with the move.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Mike
im a member of a great club in the Midlands with Deer,Hogs,Turkey Rabbit Etc. when you coming down and ill show you around. i also know of other clubs looking for members
Old 04-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Lots of public land also. WMAs are all around the state from coastal islands to midlands swamps to hardwoods hillsand the mountains in the upstate. As for snakes, they are here but the Hollywood portrayal of attacking snakes behind every tree just isn't the case. You'll see fifty non-poisonous ones for every one venomous snake. If you're really scared of them, just get a pair of good snake boots and have peace of mind. As for the safety issue, after what I've heard of the PA gun season, you'll feel very safe hunting down here. Last year on opening day of muzzleloading season, we were on a large WMA and saw only two other trucks all day. We're currently working on getting apublic 500 yd.rifle range near Columbia now because their aren't any around.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

I really can't add anymore to what has already been said.

Don't be scared of public land. If you put your hours in scouting SC has some of the best public land in the country.

You would be better by posting on the DNR talk forum, SCducks, or scoutdooradventures than on here. that is if you are trying to find local people.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 PM

As has been said, public land is great here. DNR draw hunts are too. Just went on a youth/adult turk. hunti with my dad this past saturday, had a great time, didnt get one myself, but a guy across the way did. Lowcountry is known for its hunting. DNR draw duck hunts are especially great if you get the right place. Clubs all around. As has been said, check out the other fourms for more/better info.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 PM

definitely consider allendale/barnwell area, a lot of deer per square mile. numerous acres of farmland surrounded by dense swamp. not too many "down and brown"ers, stalking is pretty obsolete here, mostly you will find still hunting and dog hunting clubs. we lost a lease there to higher bidders from fla and i am desperate to find another (lease prices have soared over the past ten years).mainly, if you see a spot of land you are interested in. . . ask about it, never know when you might luck up on a free honey hole.and watch out for those moccasins, they wont move like people say.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah thats the biggest problem for SC now. People from out of state leasing up the land. Mainly NC and FL. Pisses me off.