saw my first deer this year >

saw my first deer this year

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

saw my first deer this year

Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Spike

Default saw my first deer this year

Went to quantico last Saturday morning. A lot more hunters there than archery season. Got on the stand around 7:00am. Just after I sit down, I heard something walking toward me. I saw a deer 100 yards away. I felt my first ever deer fever at that moment. My heart beat faster, and my eyes got blurry.Sorry, it looks like a doe but it was a little dark and far away and my blurry eyes........, so I am not very sure.[&:]It walked to about 50 yards from me and then walked away. I was so excited to see it, since this was the first deer I saw during hunting. Of course I saw a lot more dead deers every year on the high way, but that was the very first one in a hunting zone. Wish I will have more luck next time.

The rest of the time on the stand was quiet, saw nothing else except squirrels and birds. When I came back to the game checking station, I saw two nice bucks taken down by some hunters.

Best day of the year so far for me. Wishyou all have good luck and enjoy the hunting!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: saw my first deer this year

Quite a thrill isn't it? Ready to do it again?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright! 50 yards is close. Good work and good job for toughing it out in the freezing cold on Saturday morning.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Fantarain...

keep at it, I've hunted quantico for two years now, and i finally killed my first deer off of there on thanksgiving day. It was an 8 point, that feeling alone is what keeps me coming back.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Spike

Brett, I know, that morning is freezing cold! It is buck only in firearm season now in quantico, right? That's why I hesitated on the shot, also my arrow is not readyon the bow yet at that moment.The distance could be shorter than 50 yards, but maybe a little out of my comfort zone.

I think everyonehas thememory of seeing the first deer. Maybe many years ago, maybe not long.That great moment should never be forgoten!Just wish to share mine in this forum with all ofyou.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

It's great man..Whenever I see a deer it's a rush everytime..and when it's a buck it's just plain glorious..When you are archery hunting..you may not be able to stand..The excitement is over whelming and one reason why the rest of us are addicted..Last year I had a 30 pound piglet under my stand ..I was so excited I didn't have the strengh to pull my bow back or straighten my legs to stand...I kid you not..[&:][&:][&:]

So I spent some of last summer practicing shooting from my stand..that helps..I believe buck fever is when you can't shoot.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fantarain

Brett, I know, that morning is freezing cold! It is buck only in firearm season now in quantico, right? That's why I hesitated on the shot, also my arrow is not readyon the bow yet at that moment.The distance could be shorter than 50 yards, but maybe a little out of my comfort zone.

I think everyonehas thememory of seeing the first deer. Maybe many years ago, maybe not long.That great moment should never be forgoten!Just wish to share mine in this forum with all ofyou.
Buck only in firearm season but you can shoot does or bucks on archery only areas...that is why I hunt them during the firearm season. 50 yards is way too far of a shot with a bow. Only shoot em in your comfort zone, wether that is 10, 20, or 30 yards. BEST of luck to you. And yes I remember the first time I saw a deer. I missed a doe at 30 yards with my rifle in the snow....was something to behold!@