The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA >

The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

The state of Florida has a 500 dollar fine if someone catches your dog on there land and they don't think twice about handing them out. That's why you see no one running anywhere near private property. It works around here, they hardly ever get complains and I never see a game warden in the woods because they know we police ourself and run dogs in a civil manner. It is not that hard to use common sense while running dogs, why would they even be running dogs on acreage less than 1,000. I wouldn't run mine on less than 20,000.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

As I understand it, in Florida all hunting dogs must be registered and tagged. You have to register the land description that these dogs have permission to be on and have a copy of that written permission as well as the dogs registration on you at all times, and if they are caught on property they aren't suppost to be on the dog owner will be fined $150 per dog for the first offense.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

As I understand it, in Florida all hunting dogs must be registered and tagged. You have to register the land description that these dogs have permission to be on and have a copy of that written permission as well as the dogs registration on you at all times, and if they are caught on property they aren't suppost to be on the dog owner will be fined $150 per dog for the first offense.
http://myfwc.com/HUNTING/pdf/deer-dog-application.pdf.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

ORIGINAL: daleh

Southern Tradition and Dog Hunting only leads to one thing Bird Dogs. Deer Dogs are something that no Plantation Owner ever had or ever will. The Southern Tradition that folks think of a deer dog hunting didn't come about to the days of tenant houses and trailer parks. I for one would love to keep that out of our history. Deer hunting with dogs is not a gentleman's sport. Any practice involving destruction of another persons property along with trespassing should be held as what it is. "Inconsiderate people participating in an illegal activity" I know some deer doggers are ethical hunters. Just have never seen nor heard of one, but you must be out there somewhere. Wonder Why This is Being Outlawed? Deer Doggers have destroyed the reputation of Sportsman in ever county and in every state. Years ago just about anyone could ask permission to hunt on a farmers land. Now they tell you to go away. Can't you read the Sign.
Have to disagree on this....Deer were hunting with dogs during our Colonial times.....Read the book by Robert Bass "The Swamp Fox"...Read "The Last of the Mohicans"...There are many references to dog hunting during these times...
Although i have never read either of the books, I find it hard to follow that "The Swamp Fox" would reference anything other than Francis Marion and his troops ridding all over SC killing the britts and escaping. i doubt they had much time to deer hunt or feed a bunch of deer hounds. The latter if i understand correctly is a fictional book based on a characters of the time.
"The American Field" weekely publication was started in the late 1800s and covered field trials from coon dogs to bird dogs along with plantation and ranch hunting events never referenced anything about deer hounds.
It is still today not considered as a sport of sportsman, but rather a group of outlaws that are being banned from turning their dogs lose in some states while other states are trying to have it outlawed as well.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:04 PM

I am a deer dog hunter in GA and love it. I also love sitting in a tree. Both are fun and give me a break from the routine of each style of hunting. Now, a thing to remember is that regulation can begood or bad. However, ANYTIME the government starts looking to regulate anything, that is bad (see last comment). Once they get started, where will theystop?You might find that they ban bird hunting as it is possible those dogs "could" run away and tresspass on another's land. You might findthat you can no longer use tree stands as they damage trees.You could see an end to plantingfood plots to attract deer and or birds because that could be consideredunsportsmanly. Also, no more dogs for bear,hogs, fox, andcoonis right around the corner.It's hard to get Uncle Sam to stop writing once he gets the pen stroking.

We could what if all day. Bottom line, in my eyes, is that anytime the government starts medaling around it isbad (generally speaking assome regulation is necessary to keep an orderly society).

However, if a deer dog hunter breaks the law, he/she should pay the fines just like any other hunter. In GA, our club does NOT tresspass on the neighbor's land period. If the dogs cross over, we get as close as posible via tracking the collars and wait for them to return. No damage other than the dog running through the woods. How is that any worse than a stray dog, coyote, or fox running around?

Peace and leave my deer dog huntin alone!!!

Acetyl