HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/207267-end-deer-dog-hunting-va.html)

reswire 09-16-2007 07:51 PM

The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

[8D]VDGIF is currently looking into ways to either limit or end the use of dogs for deer hunting east of the Blue Ridge. How do you feel about it? Seems like a pretty volatile subject in VA. Just curious how the minimum acres deal that was cut in the Carolinas has worked out?

I occasionally hunt with dogs, but I really preferstill hunting most of the time. Actually I love bowhunting the most, it just seems dogs work best at the end of the season when the deer get scarce. Rumor has it that dog hunting will be ended before 2010. WELL, WHATDO YOU THINK?

bassfisherman711 09-17-2007 07:45 AM

RE: The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

I would love to see that happen. The property I hunt borders a logging company that leases there land to some guys who run dogs. Its just not sporting. Opening day of rifle season sounds like a war going on, they shoot anything that moves. My favorite stand to hunt is 100 yards away from the property line, and there are ALWAYS hicks running there darn 4 wheelers under my stand with their dogs. If they respected boundaries a bit more, it wouldnt be as big of a problem, they push a lot of deer onto our land. But I am all for it, get rid of using dogs for hunting.

adamsdad 09-17-2007 07:56 AM

I do not know if I would characterize it as not sporting. I know that there are boundry line issues but a lot of people enjoy this type of hunting, and it has a long history in many parts of the south. To each his own.

Virginia Mike 09-17-2007 09:13 AM

It has a long history in VA, and it would be a shame to see it go away. But the Dog Hunters need to respect boundaries and borders. If they don't start doing a better job of it, they will end the way they hunt in VA.

bryant1 09-17-2007 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: bassfisherman711

I would love to see that happen. The property I hunt borders a logging company that leases there land to some guys who run dogs. Its just not sporting. Opening day of rifle season sounds like a war going on, they shoot anything that moves. My favorite stand to hunt is 100 yards away from the property line, and there are ALWAYS hicks running there darn 4 wheelers under my stand with their dogs. If they respected boundaries a bit more, it wouldnt be as big of a problem, they push a lot of deer onto our land. But I am all for it, get rid of using dogs for hunting.
First- People running dogs are not always 'hicks'.I hunt with multiple people who are college educated, like myself.
Second- If you haven't been deer-doghunting, how do you know it isn't sporting? ( I assume you have never been, or you would know how hard it is to harvest a deer running. I harvest 4-5 bucks during bow/muzzleloader seasons and maybe 2 bucks during general gun season)
Third- Don't judge deer hunters who use dogs by a couple bad apples.I know of PLENTY of still hunters who will shoot spikes when it is not legal and shoot after legal hunting hours.

ButchA 09-17-2007 11:52 AM

Uh oh... Here we go...

I have had my share of deer dog runners, but I finally learned to go where they aren't. Even though I'm in Richmond, I will not hunt around here. I head to the GWNF out on the other side of the Blue Ridge, to get away from the deer dogs.

Don't get me wrong... It's cool... It's cool... No need for us to all end up like:

If someone wants to run dogs.... fine.... let 'em run dogs. But they must abide by the laws and not let them run amok all over creation, you know?

We need to stick together regarding hunting in Virginia, regardless of our method (i.e. bowhunters, shotgunners, deer doggers, rifle hunters, etc...) If deer dog hunting goes by the wayside, it would be sad to see a long tradition disappear. But then on the positive side, it would probably open more doors towards Sunday hunting.

bryant1 09-17-2007 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: ButchA

Uh oh... Here we go...

I have had my share of deer dog runners, but I finally learned to go where they aren't. Even though I'm in Richmond, I will not hunt around here. I head to the GWNF out on the other side of the Blue Ridge, to get away from the deer dogs.

Don't get me wrong... It's cool... It's cool... No need for us to all end up like:

If someone wants to run dogs.... fine.... let 'em run dogs. But they must abide by the laws and not let them run amok all over creation, you know?

We need to stick together regarding hunting in Virginia, regardless of our method (i.e. bowhunters, shotgunners, deer doggers, rifle hunters, etc...) If deer dog hunting goes by the wayside, it would be sad to see a long tradition disappear. But then on the positive side, it would probably open more doors towards Sunday hunting.
I totally agree we should stick together. BTW- I hunt in Florida, but I have volunteered some of my time to the cause.

Invented 09-17-2007 08:51 PM

I can't wait to see it go, the sad thing is gonna be all the dogs you see walking the road with no collars when it does happen

nchawkeye 09-17-2007 09:44 PM

I wish that were true Pearl, unfortunately I'm afraid most will just come down to NC to hunt like they have done for decades....

limbhangers2 09-18-2007 07:32 AM

If we could only teach the dogs to read :eek: