ANTS! ANTS!  AND MORE ANTS >

ANTS! ANTS! AND MORE ANTS

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

ANTS! ANTS! AND MORE ANTS

Old 07-29-2007, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default ANTS! ANTS! AND MORE ANTS

ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION ON KEEPING THESE PESKY FIRE ANTS OUT OF YOUR FEEDERS????? LOW COUNTRY SOUTH CAROLINA
Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ANTS! ANTS! AND MORE ANTS

Try spreading Amdro in a circle completely surrounding the feeder. Don't do it if rain is possible... it needs to be kept dry as possible for as long as possible.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

+1 for andro. Horny toads eat ants, but they may not be native to the SE USA.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 AM

I had a problem with Fire Ants at my house in the Savannah Area. I just used fire ant killer from Lowes and it worked pretty well. No Particular brand. I have used both the granules, and the liquid stuff, and in some cases a combination of both. Use the granules to cover an area about 5 feet all the way around your feeder. That should help. You might use the liquid stuff to wet down the granules, if they need to be "watered in"
Old 08-01-2007, 05:11 PM

When anyone finds out about controling fireants in SC i want to know.
I have tried every fireant bait. you can control them only in a small area for a little while.
Same thing with dust or spray. Only works for a day to a week.
Have food or something dead they will be on it.
The only thing that i see them usefull for is cleaning up a skeleton for a Euro-Mount
completly clean in a week
I wish someone would spray DDT
we have too many hawks anyways
Old 08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

They are taking over the south. [:@]

I can't even walk out in my yard bare foot anymore.

I wonder if they are as bad in other states as they are here in SC.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:46 PM

I'm not from the carolinas, but close, Svannah GA. We have bad fire ants too. The first time I had fire ants I used the powder and some liquid stuff i picked up at Lowes or Home Depot. That got rid of them for about 3-4 months. When they came back I couldn't find the liquid stuff.

Either way, go by the powder, or granule stuff. For the next part you can use a pitchfork, I use a piece of Rebar about 2 feet long. I pound the rebar into the ground with a hammer about a foot down, then kind of stir it around to make the hole bigger. Do this about 20 times all around the mound. in it, and a couple of feet out from it. Then sprinkle the granules all over that area, and use a hose with a multi spray setting and "mist" those granules into the ground. you want to use a ton of water, so that the poison get down into the nest. That will kill that mound and if you are lucky, you will get the queen. If not, you will be good for close to a month or two, before they will try to start again somewher else in the yard.

It has worked for me with pretty good results.

you might also try your local nursery to see what they reccomend or use.

good luck

Old 08-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may also try a product called over-n-out. It's a granular product that contains the active ingredient Fipronil. It's rather deadly on many species of ants. Follow label directions precisely. With fire ants you must be persistent. Some colonies are multiple queen, so they can regenerate quickly. Repeated applications will likely be required.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Spike

I live in Broward County, Florida, (west of Ft. Lauderdale)and I have about a 1/4 acre lot that sits on a lake. We have a major problem withthose South American insects (Ants too)and I buy Ortho Orthene Fire-Ant Killer at Home Depot.I tried other stuff but this is what has worked for me. I have been able to rid my entire yard of those pesky cirtters, because when my wife and I moved in here nine years ago, they were everywhere.I use the Ortho Powder and nothing else. The one I use stinks enought to make you sick if you smell it in a closed area.I always ensure that I have poured it down on top of their nest. i spend some effort in making sureI fully cover the whole nest. I do not waterit in, but I leave it dry and I have been told the ants will carry the poison to the other little knuckleheads. This is a procedure I havebeen following for about eight years and for me anyway it works.I have now had the same can of Ant Killer for this entire year. The rain seemsto attract them, because I seem to see new colonies during our rainy season, but then again I am not an ant expert. I look for their granulated little mounds and that is where I concentrate my efforts. Ant murder is a good thing! Before my present system I even tried burning them with gasoline to no avail. I hope this helps.