Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Attack of the Ants! >

Attack of the Ants!

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Attack of the Ants!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Attack of the Ants!

My dad went out and checked on our camera that has been set up for about 4 weeks. He took the camera down from the tree, brought the camera into the house, sat down with the camera in his lap, opened the camera and then jumped like heck. In the time the camera has been out it has been invaded by a million little ants. It is a Wildview 2 and it does not appear that the black seal has been eaten through or anything. According to my dad there were ants everywhere inside the camera.

Is the camera done for, or is there a way of saving it? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Attack of the Ants!

I have been lucky as no ants have been bothering mine. Mine has been bitten by a moose and then I am not sure but I am thinking a black bear was using it for a back rub.. Gueeze why won't they leave these things alone... I did have three spiders nest and eggs built on it though.. With all you folks getting hit by ants I should concider myself lucky.. But i do not feel that way with these animal messing around with mine.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

in terms of the camera being sealed, I have had several different types and on more than one have noticed that they concentrate on sealing it on the top parts where the water would make it's way in by gravity. If you look hard enough you'll like find the entry point on the bottom somewhere... after you find it, get some stick-back foam and seal 'er up. I've only ever had a few spiders and some beetles in mine.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

This has been happening alot this summer. It actually happened to me for the first time ever this week, but when i went back to get the camera and get rid of the ants, they had disappeared. I brought it home and everything looks okay.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

go to a feed store and get some permathin and spay around the base of the tree.it`s easy to mix and works good.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had to bring a cam home tonight also. The last 2 weeks had some ants in it and when I checked it today the battery was completely dead and there were no pics. Now I'll have to tear it apart to see what the damage is.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Reconyx was absolutely loaded with ants and eggs two weeks ago, besides having to knock them out of the camera I had zero problems whatsoever. I just checked the camera yesterday, everything is still fine and they have not returned.

JC
Old 07-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

It is surprising the number of people who have had this happen. Thanks for the advice from everyone. So far so good. It has been tough to get the eggs out of it, but other than that it is working well. I just hope there isn't a problem as time goes on.